Wireless CH control "stuck"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hell, I'm new to the forum and new to the country. I have a BG RC Wireless System which controls the CH, but although all would initially appear to work fine the BG WR1 Receiver seems to "get stuck" at some point during the day. Here is what happens. I follow the "Commissioning the Wireless System" instructions, checking that all works fine every step of the way - no problems. Same goes for the replacement batteries in the BG RC1 Wireless Digital Thermostat. System seems fine, on WR1 receiver the little red "Receive alarm" LED flashes for 7 seconds, green "heating on" LED comes on and warm water circulates perfect. However, when I get home (or wake up in the morning) something's gone wrong. RC1 shows temperature way below what I've set it and it indicates that it is sending signal to WR1 receiver. WR1 receiver has green "Heating on" LED burning but water is not circulating and red "receive alarm" does not flash?. Only way to fix problem is to shut down everything and start over. Any ideas? For the record, I have warm water, I've replaced the batteries on RC1 (in correct sequence) and system is fitted with brand new motorised valve...

Sponsored Links
red "receive alarm" does not flash?.
Most of them only send the signal every couple of minutes, or when there's change in state at the transmitter, so you'd have to watch for a while.

Is the timer in the temp transmitter or elsewhere?

SOunds like the info is being received so you need to probe the wires in the boiler to see if it thinks it's still being told to be ON.

"Is the timer in the temp transmitter or elsewhere?"

Timer is located seperately in BG UP1 which is timer for Hot Water and CH ...and I've made usre it has been reset and is on....

I had a similar problem with a wired digital thermostat - all indications were that the thermostat was calling for heat but the boiler did not come on. On closer examination, I found the thermostat was not "clicking " - i.e. the relay was not operating.

So you could listen at the receiver (as well as watching the "on" LED) as someone else turns the thermostat from low to high - there should be a click as some sort of relay is operated.

PS I replaced the batteries which gave a little more power so the relay operated.
Have you changed the batteries in the receiver or is it mains powered ?

Sponsored Links
Weeks later and problem continues. Here is update: Replaced digistat sender and receiver with new Draytom wireless system. Upon initial start up all works fine as per instructions, I go through the "learn" mode ie for sender and receiver to communicate, set temp on remote and all fine......BUT once set temp is reached and CH switches off (as it should) I cannot get it to work again and in fact have to switch off at timer for around 30 minutes then start all over which works fine again until the next time it reaches set temp. Yes I've replaced bateries, yes the motorised valve opens fine, yes there is warm water, yes I can hear and see the switch click.....only other funny thing is that "override button" on receiver absolutely refuses to work? Any ideas

My ideas are that you've wired it up wrong, and have made a mess of describing the fault herein.

You say that the override button on the RF receiver refuses to work but also say that the motorised valve is opening.

It is a wiring fault, in such DIY situations our service engineers usually pull all the connector blocks out of the junction box and reterminate. Experience tells us this is usually the quicker solution.

You will find diagrams on this site for Y and S plan systems.

My ideas are that you've wired it up wrong, and have made a mess of describing the fault herein.

You say that the override button on the RF receiver refuses to work but also say that the motorised valve is opening.

It is a wiring fault, in such DIY situations our service engineers usually pull all the connector blocks out of the junction box and reterminate. Experience tells us this is usually the quicker solution.

You will find diagrams on this site for Y and S plan systems.

Simon, thanks for your guidance, my thoughts exactly re wiring and I've paid a profession to do this!. Re the motorised valve, to be clear, I mean it opens when I eventually get the whole thing going, but not otherwise when nothing seems to work....

i have had a number of these controls go wrong, but they always showed the red led permanently on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back