British Gas "special offer" bills go up 37% !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently, the 18% increase BG announced is not the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth,
Just came across the following on another, very respectable forum.
Maybe it is a good idea to check your bills and rates if you are with BG.

the price you are actually paying may be going up by 37% :eek:
No wonder they are the industry record holder when it comes to getting convicted by the ASA for misleading advertising
The information on prices is on the website, but as I have pointed out in another thread some are incorrect!

I have contacted British Gas and they admit that the WebSaver 11 prices on their website, both before and after the price increase are incorrect. They have sent me the correct prices for my area and I am shocked to discover that the increase for me will be considerably more than the 19% quoted. My tier 2 units have increased by 23% and my night units (which I use the most of) by a staggering 37%.

This actually puts the night rate on the WebSaver 11 tariff higher than the night rate on their standard tariff (assuming this information on their website is correct), in conflict with the terms and conditions for this tariff.

Sponsored Links
Far from brilliant for that particular person but I believe the announced rises are always averages and all suppliers advertise or announce them that way.

Far from brilliant for that particular person but I believe the announced rises are always averages and all suppliers advertise or announce them that way.

exactly as people joining bg on special introductory tariffs will be paying less all suppliers do it to get you to swop then you prices creep above the average pecentage each year till you catch up
thats why i swap every one to three years ;)

Sponsored Links
Don't have much sympathy for anyone who is stupid enough to have anything to do with British Gas - I avoid them like the plague..... :evil:

Happens all the time. You join on a cheap tariff, and sooner or later they slide you onto their standard tariff prices. That amounts to a huge price rise for you, although you're still only paying the same as many other people. Keep on top of it and move whenever this happens. Sometimes the best move is just to another tariff at the same company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back