British / Irish food

E

EddieM

ok, we are fully aware of our global reputation as having awful food, dreadful teeth, and terrible weather. But this made me laugh... do you think they have ever been to the UK?

" I can’t speak to other countries, but I just got back from U.K. and Ireland. Our tour director was quick to mention that, “nobody comes to Great Britain for the food.”
My assessment is that the food is usually filling and wholesome, but tasteless and unimaginative.

We had hotel breakfasts. The 6 hotels we stayed at all served the same things. Powdered scrambled eggs, oatmeal, cold cuts, sausages, fruit and breads and pastries. Broiled tomato halves. They always had Campbell baked beans straight out of the can....I mean the old tomatoey kind. Sometimes there were fried potatoes. The only speck of creativity was a very interesting bowl of cubed sweet potatoes, tossed with chopped roasted peppers and perhaps olive oil. It’s a combination I never would have put together. They must have a new person in the kitchen who neglected to get their creativity sucked out at the border.

I won’t give a blow by blow of the other meals, but about 2 were good and most were barely edible. One thing I will say about the British is, they do a great job with desserts. They love their sweets and we had some fabulous ones.

One more thing I found interesting is that despite the fact that sheep are raised for wool, I never saw lamb on a menu. There is very little beef. They eat mostly fish and pork."

Sponsored Links
Errr, powdered egg..really, campbells baked beans ??? Mostly fish and pork? Weird.

if the writer was American, they have a different kind of baked beans over there. High sugar, with molasses.

Possibly styled like Boston Beans.

Perhaps they were not used to the sort popular in the UK.

Hotels that mostly served fish (and chips?) and pork suggests a price-sensitive menu. Roast beef, and especially lamb, are dearer.

I'm not aware that I've ever seen powdered egg, although I believe some food factories use it for cakes.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I am aware that USA style baked beans have 14g of sugar in them as opposed to 7g here. But powdered egg I've only heard of it from the '40's. I can't countenance the idea they have ever been here.

"They always had Campbell baked beans straight out of the can" did they mean the baked bean can was just put on the table

Back