Britony combi and ACL LP111 trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've moved into our new house which has a Britony Combi 100 (might be 80) boiler, burning LPG in the attic. There's a Honeywell Frost Stat
(T4360A) thermostat right next to the boiler and, downstairs, is an ACL
LP111 controller.

The boiler has two controls - hot water only (on demand) or hot water
and heating. Despite the ACL control panel, the heating is on
constantly (the ACL has options of Off, Timed or On - whatever we put
it on, the heating is on all the time). If I switch the boiler to just water, the rads don't come on - so the valves and boiler are working fine (I assume).

I've seen these ACL things before and don't like them - so I assume
it's either useless, or broken, or not wired in correctly. My question
is, can I get a decent Honeywell controller (which we had in the house
we sold) and a room thermostat to control the heating? How about a CM67? How easy will it be to just replace the ACL Lp111 with it - a simple swap? I'd like a room thermostat in the hall, and a timer to turn the heating on periodically throughout the day.

We haven't got a hot-water tank (which is strange...we're not used to not having a tank) so I don't need a controller to handle the hot water - it just needs to be "on," and the taps fire the boiler on demand. I just need to sort this heating out - only need it on at 7am at the earliest, not throughout the night!

Thanks for any advice you can offer. I'm on dialup until broadband
arrives in deepest darkest Devon, so I won't read any replies until
later or tomorrow...but I will! The water coming out of the taps is luke warm at best, but I won't bore you with that just yet.

<ducks>

Thanks again,

Will

Sponsored Links
You need to determine whether the continuous heating is due to a fault on the ACL programmer or elsewhere (e.g. frost stat set too high, faulty wiring). No point in changing programmer until you know where fault is. Can you do simple (to us anyway) electrical tests with multimeter?

Hi Chris - I'm afraid not. I'm just trying to find out the problem, then I'll find a heating engineer. As regards the Froststat - I have it set quite high, to 15 or so. It "clicks" on at about 10c, which must be the temperature in the attic, but I don't see how this could affect how often the heating comes on. Any advice?

The "hot water on demand" is lukewarm at best, too. Not hot enough for a bath, and not even "hand hot" - the boiler is definately firing when we turn a tap on, but it's just not warm enough! Nightmare.

If you have any advice to offer, that would be brilliant. Or - do you or anyone else know of an engineer or plumber in the Plymouth / Dartmouth / South Hams areas?

Thanks

Will

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back