Britony Combi SE80 noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My caravan boiler, Britony Combi SE, makes a noise like a passing light aircraft when a hot tap or shower is switched on (runs absolutely fine when only central heating is on). The problem has become worse over the course of this season and can now be clearly heard outside the caravan. So far the site plumbers/contractors have failed to solve the problem after fitting a new thermister, they now wish to change the PCB (total cost £165) but I have my doubts especially when the noise appears to be a high frequency vibration. The boiler performs extremely well apart from the noise and I can see no flashing LEDs as mentioned in the maintainance guide. Has anyone come across this problem and if so what finally cured it. I am about to fork out for manufacturer recommended plumbers but my experience so far does not fill me with confidence (previous plumbers have all been corgi registered!!) Finally the noise appears to come from the heat exchanger area but I have definately found no problem with the fan assembly. The caravan is 5 years old.

Sponsored Links
your right new pcb doesn't sound right.

just because someone is corgi doesn't mean they know a thing about boiler repairs.

Pretty sure it is a worn diapragm in the diverter valve section but could also be the gas valve relays on the PCB although seems unlikely if it is only hot water.

I have this boiler in my house unfortunatly so know the exact noise you are talking about i think. It lasts for a few seconds and does sound very similar to a plane flying over head! :LOL: Only differance was that mine made the noise a second after turning the tap off?

Oddly mine fixed itself before i got around to replacing it!

So many odd noises can be created from this boiler when they go wrong!

Sam

If they don't fix your boiler why did you pay them :rolleyes:

How well does the hot water perform....can you fill a standard bucket (12 litres to the brim) with water at hot bath temperature in just a minute?

Aircraft noises are sometimes due to poor system flow due to a blocked secondary heat exchanger...takes a few minutes to diagnose.

Sponsored Links
The noise persists all the time the hot water is running, as for filling a bucket in 1 minute then maybe not but close. I have not paid for having the thermister fitted and have made my feelings clear to the site operators. I have also now spoken to the manufacturers technical help but as I am not a registered plumber then their advice is very limited. They say that it is not the PCB as the boiler is functioning basically as it should but their best guess would be scaling of the heat exchanger and I should remove it and descale it for starters. Is this a possible DIY job or do I just grit my teeth and call in their recommended plumbers. I should say that I am a retired electrician and have done basic plumbing jobs in the past therefor I think I would class myself as fairly competent but with enough common sense to know when to contract a job out and this appears to be the case here.

Although I'm not a heating engineer, I do have the exact same 'boiler', and have had to replace various bits over the last 3 years.

If you download the parts list from the chaffoteaux website you can check out the exploded diagram of how it all fits together and trace the route that the water takes through the boiler. The first thing it does after entering the boiler is pass through a part called the 'water control' if I remember correctly. This seems to be a flow limiter, and when I had to replace it was what seemed to produce a similar noise to the one you mention (the water is forced through a narrow gap). Might be worth checking that it isnt falling apart or blocked in any way - otherwise could indeed be a scaled secondary heat exchanger.

Luckily the boiler is fairly simply constructed so provided you have the right tools and take your time, I've found it simple to take apart & re-assemble. Obviously don't go near the gas side however.

Good luck!

Hi
Thanks for all the info and tips, I will be having a final go at this boiler using all your experiences to see if I can resolve the problem. If I fail then you will probably hear the foul language as well as more of the same when the bill for finally sorting it comes after calling in a reputable corgi reg plumber.[/img]

My experience of flow restrictors is that they usually make a whine rather than a light aircraft noise.

A scaled main heat exchanger can give a whine or a WWII spitfire in a dive!

Parts of Yorks are quite hard water and that might imply lime scale. I wonder why posters are so reluctant to say where they are? Water quality clues help and sometimes we can recommend CORGIs in certain areas.

A mechnical stethescope can help to identify the location.

The flow restrictor is rarely needed and you could just remove the rubber element and see if that cures it. The ones I have seen whining have had the rubber pulled out to one side.

Descaling the main HE should ideally be done by a CORGI but if you feel competent you could try it and use sulphamic acid but you will have to heat it up to 70-80 before it has much effect. You could also use 5% HCl if you are competent to handly acids safely.

Tony

I apologise for not saying but it simply hadn`t occured to me about the hard water as this is the first boiler problem we have ever had with any of our caravans. The van is situated on Primrose Valley, Filey, East Yorkshire and any recommendation for a reliable, knowledgeable corgi plumber would be appreciated.

There is a further problem!

Your boiler presumably runs on LPG and that needs a special CORGI module which only about 1% of engineers have!

If the noise is coming from the main heat exchanger that may just be because the boiler power is turned up too high.

There are usually requirements for an annual inspection of vans on a park but these are not always done conscientously, thats if they are done at all.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back