Brits now destroying their own tourism industry

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People are quitting tourism because British holiday makers, used to being impolite and abusive abroad, are now doing it at home.

"Some have been reduced to tears. Being on the receiving end of abusive behaviour day in, day out has led to mental health problems. Some have simply quit, compounding the shortages. Who can blame them? It’s not as if waiting tables or standing behind a bar is particularly well paid."
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/ne...heir-manners/ar-AANYtU5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

It really will be like Victorian times again soon enough!

Sponsored Links
Part of the problem is prices have increased significantly and the staff can be just as rude as the customers. People expect more when they pay more. Add to the fact that many of these staff have been on nearly a years paid holiday.

Yesterday, I went out for lunch at a pub/hotel and parked in the gated car park. As I walked from my car to the pub a member of staff asked if I was staying the night, "no just for lunch", "oh we don't normally allow people to use the car park for lunch". I mean... wtf.., I'd expect to use the car park if I was just having drinks. she said she'd make an exception, but I left for a venue with better customer service anyway.

People are quitting tourism because British holiday makers, used to being impolite and abusive abroad, are now doing it at home.

"Some have been reduced to tears. Being on the receiving end of abusive behaviour day in, day out has led to mental health problems. Some have simply quit, compounding the shortages. Who can blame them? It’s not as if waiting tables or standing behind a bar is particularly well paid."
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/ne...heir-manners/ar-AANYtU5?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

It really will be like Victorian times again soon enough!

you find it in all walks of life now

having to deal with customers can be a total pia

Stupid
Rude
Ill mannered
Ignorant
Sekfish

basically a holes imo
working in social housing can be a nightmare

Sponsored Links
I've always thought Brits on holiday/abroad are the worst whether on The Costas or stag parties in European capitals, etc, etc. I give them a wide berth as much as possible.

Unfortunately, now we have staycations and Covid travel restrictions with UK resorts mad busy it's much harder to avoid them. I would not holiday in The UK for many reasons.

Part of the problem is prices have increased significantly and the staff can be just as rude as the customers. People expect more when they pay more. Add to the fact that many of these staff have been on nearly a years paid holiday.

Yesterday, I went out for lunch at a pub/hotel and parked in the gated car park. As I walked from my car to the pub a member of staff asked if I was staying the night, "no just for lunch", "oh we don't normally allow people to use the car park for lunch". I mean... wtf.., I'd expect to use the car park if I was just having drinks. she said she'd make an exception, but I left for a venue with better customer service anyway.
Name and shame.

We've decided we can't afford pub lunches any more. Went to a country pub that we used to go to, all we had was:

1 burger and chips
2 mac n cheese (not huge portions either)
1 jacket potato with stuff on it
1/2 beer
1 coke
1 coffee
4 desserts

Sat outside in the beer garden.

Bill was £78.

And a Sunday lunch at another pub, that was really really crap (old veg, toughest beef I've eaten since the 70s, limp salad, dry chicken) was £67.

No more pub lunches for us, unless I win the lottery!

Both places were also quiet - its like they've put the prices up, sacked the chefs, and hope to win back business ...

Unfortunately we have a country with its fair share of dontgiveafúcks. Customers and those who we pay to give us a good service..

I want to give local businesses my business. What I expect is a fair price good quality and a decent service. It's what I do with my business.

I went to a local pub with Mrs Bod and my two young girls. Soda water with lime, two lemonades and a beer. £12 odd. I've not been back since.

Yep, same here. Want to support local, but they're pricing everybody out.
Nice when you find a small cafe that still charges a sensible amount and serves tasty food with a smile. Rare though!

lol. yeah, that Sunday lunch certainly reminding me of the beef my mum used to serve us!

I think "average" might be misleading, but I did read that one person got one quote of 10k a day

Mad. Holidays are nice, but they're not worth breaking the bank for. I'd sooner stay at home and do some day trips.

Sponsored Links
Back