Brits now destroying their own tourism industry

This seems to be the all new must have condition.

"Suicide is a significant national social issue in the United Kingdom. In 2019 there were 5,691 registered deaths by suicide in England and Wales, equating to an average of 18 suicides per day in the country. Suicide is the single biggest killer of men under the age of 45 in the country."

Sponsored Links
I am not in any way denying that mental illness is a serious issue, it is and it deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets. However in recent times the term does seem have gained some sort of perverse popularity, with folk claiming the illness when they are simply not getting their own way, had some bad luck or are under a bit of pressure. Life throws all manner of challenges at us, being a bit upset, feeling a bit down, stuff getting on top of us is not an illness, its normal life.

I wonder if the term is just being devalued, and attention being taken away from those who actually do need help.

The term is "mental health problem".

If youve got the squits you have a gut health problem. You dont necessarily have an illness.

Why do you see this as a zero sum game?

Why does recognising that if someone is being made chronically unwell by their working conditions devalue other peoples conditions? If theyve got the squits because of dodgy canteen food at work would you say "FGS its not cholera, some people have genuine illnesses you know, stop moaning"?

You are the one trying to devalue the problems faced by people being made unwell by their working conditions because they havent got full-on suicidal PTSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not in any way denying that mental illness is a serious issue, it is and it deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets. However in recent times the term does seem have gained some sort of perverse popularity, with folk claiming the illness when they are simply not getting their own way, had some bad luck or are under a bit of pressure. Life throws all manner of challenges at us, being a bit upset, feeling a bit down, stuff getting on top of us is not an illness, its normal life.

I wonder if the term is just being devalued, and attention being taken away from those who actually do need help.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Massive back-peddle.

Sponsored Links
However in recent times the term does seem have gained some sort of perverse popularity

It's called raising awareness of a problem, nobody has created a new problem.

Many people suffer, and have suffered, mental health problems caused by crap working conditions for years. Just because it has been happening for ages doesn't mean it is unimportant. Work related stress can kill in the most extreme cases, and cause depression and poverty in many others.

"In 2015, an analysis of almost 300 studies found that harmful workplace practices were as bad for mortality, and as likely to lead to a physician-diagnosed illness, as second-hand smoke, a known – and regulated – carcinogen."
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180502-how-your-workplace-is-killing-you

In short, work kills.

Consider the analogy of fear.

If someone says that they are genuinely terrified by something that you dont find fearful, maybe even by something that very few people would, it doesnt matter what you say to them about lifes challenges, and that being a bit anxious, feeling a bit nervous is not real fear.

If they are terrified then they are terrified - their terror is real, no matter how dismissive of it you are.

"Paul Nickerson tried to book a week in the UK for his family of five - but says the average cost for seven days was £71,627."
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-looking-staycation-quoted-71000-20969431

did I read that right? :eek:

We're meeting some family we haven't seen for years next weekend. They're staying in a cottage not far from Port Isaac, sleeps 6-8, £1350 for two weeks.
That sounds remarkably cheap, a farm I work at has five cottages ranging in price from £500pw off season to £2000 pw peak season, and that I would say is the average price in Cornwall.

I've read a few stories about the £10k a night places, I doubt they have many bookings.

Cant blame them for having a punt.

Very true, and I daresay loads of owners have hiked prices but I think it will come back to bite them on the bum in a year or two, and not just because of high prices but because of the hostility shown towards tourists by locals.

Sponsored Links
Back