BRITSH GAS DSC HOUSE ALARM TROUBLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very late last night the alarm panel started making a loud noise inside the house. It was saying that there was a fault in zone 5 (the landing). I put in our code and the noise stopped. The 'trouble' light stayed on.

This morning there are no lights on the panel at all. The clock is still on, so presumably there is power to the panel... I know ultimately we need an engineer to come out, but wondered if anyone has any idea what the problem might be.

We are considering replacing this alarm but not sure whether to or not at the moment. Is this fault likely to be a biggy? In which case we might just get a new system.

What would happen if we leave the alarm for the time being? I am scared of it going off and me being at home unable to turn it off because of a fault. Irrational thinking, maybe, I know!

Typical BG alarm, we have no manual etc to refer to.

Thanks for nay suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Trouble is most likely the battery needing to be changed.
You can try and change it but it will probably lock you out, if your going to change it now is the time.

Thanks Alarm. I had all batteries replaced last year though. And the fault doesn't say it's a battery (though it did last year, which is when i got them all replaced). Or is it a battery in the panel box itself you mean?

Sponsored Links
In the main panel.

In which case, do you know - am I 'safe' to leave it a few days while I look into alarm system options? Or is it likely to trigger further alarms etc if left not dealt with???

I don't want to pay for someone to come out and sort it and then decide to replace the system!

Thanks for your replies so far

i gather your system is not connected to an ARC (monitoring station).

so if you wanted to replace the system with another system you could without much hassel.

as your PIR sensors are radio, there are a few GOOD radio based alarm systems out there from local suppliers in your area, get a couple (min 3) and see what there.

the BG ones (personally, i find that they are not that good, and are a pain to work on, we have removed several of these particular systems over the years and replaced it with better equipment)
if you have a commercially available system fitted it will be easier to maintain

and you also get the choice of who fits it, and maintains it as well.

Oasis

you should be able to leave the system as it is for now, until you decide what you want to do with it.

we personally only fit Galaxy radio equipment, as we find it easy to fit, and easy for the client to use.

i gather your system is not connected to an ARC (monitoring station). no it isn't

so if you wanted to replace the system with another system you could without much hassel.

as your PIR sensors are radio, there are a few GOOD radio based alarm systems out there from local suppliers in your area, get a couple (min 3) and see what there. can I check that what you're saying is to look for 'radio based' alarms - what does that mean exactly?

the BG ones (personally, i find that they are not that good, and are a pain to work on, we have removed several of these particular systems over the years and replaced it with better equipment)
if you have a commercially available system fitted it will be easier to maintain

and you also get the choice of who fits it, and maintains it as well.

Oasis

you should be able to leave the system as it is for now, until you decide what you want to do with it. ie you mean with no lights on ? presumably it just means that I can't set the alarm

we personally only fit Galaxy radio equipment, as we find it easy to fit, and easy for the client to use.

Thanks for your reply. I've replied within your post and tried to colour code it but it won't work.
1. no it's not an ARC system
2. so it's OK leaving it as is - obviously it means the alarm can't be used in the meantime
3. so I need to look for 'radio based' alarms. what does that mean exactly?

:!:
The noise from the keypad has just woken us up again. Again I've entered the code and it's stopped. The trouble light has come back on!!

I daren't leave the house now in case it goes off again.

Anyone any idea how to go about just turning the thing off completely? (Not sure what the technical term is).

radio system
each device (PIR sensors door contacts) are powered by batteries and transmit there condition to the control panel via radio.

to disarm / shut down your system;

get yourself some screw drivers first
get yourself a ladder to get to the external sounder
remove mains power, via the fuse spur (white box the size of a light switch) pop the fuse out.
remove the main panel cover off
remove the battery, the external siren will sound, this is normal

get your ladder up to the external siren, unscrew the cover and disconnect the back up battery, (tubular thing with a red and black wire on it) only remove ONE of the leads from the battery

replace the cover

you have now shut down your alarm

hope this helps, if you have any other problems PM or call me and i will try to help you out

Oasis

Thanks for the info. Do you think an engineer would come out to do this for me if I asked?

British Gas told me it takes 2 hours to power down the system and that I'd be charged accordingly. What you've described here is NOT a 2 hour job, so I don't trust BG to not trick me!

They have a schedule of works as do most and this is alloted 2 hours obviously.
If it is quicker and the docket shows you would be charged Pro-rata I would assume.
Have you tried to do this in the time alloted?
I agree a competent person could do it faster.

What do you do for work?
Give people the lowest cost possible and get caught out and swallow. Remember no one has seen the property.
So you have been given a GUESSTIMATE.

As you said "you will be charged accordingly"

The last time an engineer came out he told me this - that was last spring/summer. I got the impression from how he spoke that it involved waiting around for things to power down. I may have misunderstood!

Oh well. I need them to come out anyway, so, yeah, bite the bullet. Needs must! Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back