Broadband drop-out when phone rings

Is the NTE5 connected to BT's incomming wiring? If it remove the filtered faceplate and stick an ADSL filter into the test socket, connect ADSL equipment only, does the BB drop out when the phone rings now?

Sponsored Links
Is the NTE5 connected to BT's incomming wiring? If it remove the filtered faceplate and stick an ADSL filter into the test socket, connect ADSL equipment only, does the BB drop out when the phone rings now?

He doesnt have an NTE5.

Well, I finally got round to looking at this :D

I disconnected all but terminals 2 and 5 between a new NTE5 and the filter plate. The NTE5 now connects just to the orange and white wires from the drop line.

The phone just rang... and my broadband dropped out.

Anybody got any more clues?

Sponsored Links
Hi Jimbo,

Not sure where you got with this but in order to get the best possible ADSL connection into your home, you need to follow some simple steps:

1. Put your router on the master socket if possible (as more hops degrade signal and speed)
2. Ensure that all sockets in your home has only ports 2 (Blue/white) and 5 (white/blue) connected. No need for anything else.
3. Ensure that every single line has a microfilter installed (to reduce ADSL noise).

Looks to me like you are missing a filter somewhere, as when a call comes in, the noise is causing the ADSL to fall out of sync. Internet and telephone are on the same line with ADSL, and the only thing that prevents a noisy telephone line and unreliable connection is the filter. So every single socket in your house must have one (if anything is connected).

To prove your connection is ok, put a filter on the master socket and disconnect all extensions. If the problem has disappeared, then you need to follow the above to ensure that your house is properly cabled. If you still have the issue, then this is a line fault and BT need to investigate.

Good luck,

Jonsey.

Hi all, thanks for the info.

I can't put the router on the master socket as it's in the hall and the cabling won't reach. Instead I have a ~5ft extension from the back of the NTE5 to the ADSL Splitter socket, which goes through the wall into the lounge. There's one other extension which goes up to the bedroom. There's no phone plugged in there though.

Both extensions are terminals 2 and 5 only.

The only thing I've had the chance to do since my last post is to put a filter in the bedroom socket - even though there's no phone plugged in. I haven't noticed the problem since, but I've only tested using 17070 callback.

If there's no phone(or ANY analogue device) plugged into a socket then you don't need a filter.

I know that's the theory. But in practice, the problem hasn't occurred since I put the filter in. Not saying it won't, just that it hasn't so far.

I've still got some more to do - if I get time tonight I'll plug an OEM extension cable into the NTE5 test socket and check that. If there's still an issue I'll call BT and hand it over to them. Otherwise the only things that can be wrong are:

1. The ADSL splitter is knackered (at £12.99 to replace, I hope not);
2. There's something dodgy with the bedroom socket wiring (which I haven't looked at, I think it's been there since the house was built!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back