Occasional single ring on the phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had BT in some time ago. They moved the master socket from the original location to one of the extensions and installed a NTE5 for the ADSL connection. The original socket is physically still there but no longer a master. Since installation, we occasionally ( one time in 10 or 15) only get one ring on the phone. If your quick to pick it up we are connected to the callers, but they usually hang up before we get to the phone. Never asked the callers what they heard earlier if they do ring back.There are at least 3 extensions around the house. Any ideas on finding the fault/what it might be? When I get some spare time I'll disconnect all the other phones bar the master and spend time ringing from a mobile and hope I get lucky.

Sponsored Links
Apart from relocating the master socket, has anything else changed? such as extra extension, adsl etc. If so, it may be the REN as been exceeded.

first check there is no connection to the terminal number 3 ( disconnect it in all the outlets) had a similar problem recently even after disconnecting the terminal that was a faulty BB filter

Sponsored Links
you have what is called ring trip, common cause is a rectified loop whaich can be down to faulty telephone,filter,modem,sky digi or poss wiring...take off the front plate from nte and using a meter test the extensions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back