Broadband missing wires in telephone cable.

The impression I get is that the main time openreach (the part of BT that handle the physical lines) care about customers messing with their incoming telephone wiring is when they are looking for an excuse to blame a fault on them.

As for engineers coming to install broadband it depends on what type of broadband you are ordering, there are basically three types of "broadband" that can be delivered by openreach.

Traditional ADSL/ADSL2 (any package with an advertised "up to" speed of 24 Mbps or less is almost certainly this). This is pretty much always self installed nowadays (in the very early days it was engineer installed and I wouldn't be suprised if this option still exists in theory but if it does it's certainly not a widely advertised option). It's up to you to install suitable filters to prevent the phones interfering with the broadband signal, the ISPs promote use of individual "microfilters" on every phone because that is the easiest method for idiots to understand but if you can understand phone wiring then centralised filtering is a better option.

Fiber to the cabinet with VDSL from the cabinet to the premisis (packages with an advertised "up to" speed of 40Mbps or 80 Mbps or thereabouts are most likely this despite being misleading advertised as "fiber"). In this case BT will install an "interstitial plate" between the back and front parts oft he NTE5 master socket and will usually install the VDSL modem nearby. The phones connect to the front plate of the NTE5 as normal, the VDSL modem is normally plugged into the interstitial plate but there are also a pair of terminals on the back of the plate to allow it to be located elsewhere. While installing the interstitial plate openreach may replace the complete master socket if it's an older design (including older versions of NTE5). They may also move the master socket if it's not practical to install the VDSL modem at the current master socket location.

Fiber to the premisis (currently I belive any package with an advertised "up to" speed of 100 Mbps or more is FTTH). In this case your existing phone wiring will become completely redundant and new fiber will be pulled in which will terminate in a box known as an ONT (optical network termination). Your phones and router will then connect to the ONT.

Sponsored Links
I hope this isn't too late to help you but I've just had a problem where my broadband speed & telephone started playing up after BT did a network upgrade in our local exchange ( I think it was to do with changing our area over to fibre optics but not sure). The problem with the phone was quickly resolved by BT, they did something in the exchange ( swapped me onto a different card or something) but the broadband speed continued to run at half the rate it had previously. Anyway I won't bore you with the laborious details but it boiled down to a bit of 2 core flexi-cable that had been installed in our house years ago. Replacing it increased my download speed fourfold & I was absolutely amazed. I was a BT engineer in the days when a bit of wet string would carry a telephone conversation but apparently now the new equipment used is so sensitive that the tiniest cable fault will vastly effect the broadband operation. Apparently it's all down to the minute magnetic field generated in the wires being different in single & multi-stranded wires, I presume it somehow effects the harmonics.

Apparently it's all down to the minute magnetic field generated in the wires being different in single & multi-stranded wires, I presume it somehow effects the harmonics.

No, that doesn't really matter.

Apparently it's all down to the minute magnetic field generated in the wires being different in single & multi-stranded wires, I presume it somehow effects the harmonics.

Well that's how the BT engineer explained it & the fault disappeared. Or is someone telling me porkies? :confused:

Sponsored Links

Well that's how the BT engineer explained it & the fault disappeared. Or is someone telling me porkies? :confused:

BT 'engineers' are nothing of the sort.

Solid vs stranded wire has absolutely nothing to do with it, ignoring termination differences.

Oh yes it does matter...BT have certain specific cables they use because of this...the old dropwire ,the grey one was just a pair of parallel wires to take the voice but now we are in the digital world the pairs have to twisted as the magnetic force stays within the twisted pair...say you have a two pair cable and use the "a" leg of pair one and the "a" leg of pair two the cable is then not balanced it WILL affect you signal...the pair will cancel out the electromagnetic interference...

Oh yes it does matter...BT have certain specific cables they use because of this...the old dropwire ,the grey one was just a pair of parallel wires to take the voice but now we are in the digital world the pairs have to twisted as the magnetic force stays within the twisted pair...

Twisted pairs have nothing to do with solid vs stranded wire, and everything to do with noise rejection via differential signalling.

Oh yes it does matter...BT have certain specific cables they use because of this...the old dropwire ,the grey one was just a pair of parallel wires to take the voice but now we are in the digital world the pairs have to twisted as the magnetic force stays within the twisted pair...

Twisted pairs have nothing to do with solid vs stranded wire, and everything to do with noise rejection via differential signalling.

When you say stranded wire ...do you mean alarm cable type?

I mean stranded wire. Look it u- oh, hell, I'll do it for you.

conductor_solidstranded.jpg

I mean stranded wire. Look it u- oh, hell, I'll do it for you.

conductor_solidstranded.jpg

I thought so....stranded wiring does not come in twisted pairs and this WILL have a affect on your BB signal ..... solid or stranded if its not a twisted pair it will cause problems...

I thought so....stranded wiring does not come in twisted pairs

Bulls**t.

Two pair, 7x30 AWG stranded, 26.2 twists per metre: http://uk.farnell.com/alpha-wire/b964021/cable-22awg-2-pair-per-m/dp/1924046

And that's just one example of many.

Here's a hint: Every ethernet cable you've ever used is 4-pair stranded.

Stranded vs solid has no significant impact on the signal.

:oops: I stand corrected :oops:
I was just assuming the op was talking about a alarm type cable whit is shoit for dsl signal.

I was just assuming the op was talking about a alarm type cable whit is shoit for dsl signal.

Oh, agreed. Also common is the DIY line extension kits, which are often stranded 4 conductor flat cable. They come in solid conductor too, if they're really, really cheap ones.

Yeah, my brother bought a cheap/nasty /poundshop extension kit and put it from the nte5 to another room and then was ringing his SP ( sky I think) and complaining about it being slow :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .. we ended up fitting a six wire now all ok .....but jeez that wire he was using would just about carry a bell circuit......... also did not know that about Ethernet leads... you learn something every day ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back