Messing with the telephone = !?"?!"?£$

what's affecting this line strength? temperature? distance?

Length.

i could reinstate a master socket at the original location and place the router there. i expect thats probably the best idea, but i'd really like to have the router at the end of the extension.

I'm sure you'd also like the speed back. As I said, put the router at the master socket and run cat5e to the new location.

because this extension cable is outside for about 25m does that mean its useless?

No, but it's likely longer than it needs to be, and will not likely last very long installed externally.

Sponsored Links
ok, so i used the wrong cable to run the main line round the house. what line should i have used?

the CAT5 option - does that plug into the master socket or the router? and whats at the other end? which cable /parts should i buy from tlc?

sorry i am a complete novice. i have just built an entire house as a complete novice. lots of mistakes everywhere (though 100% structurally sound) and lots of creative stuff everywhere.

i can still run a wire through the house at this stage, by taking a floorboard up etc. so i am not devastated that my extension cable isnt right - but its not, right?

ok, so i used the wrong cable to run the main line round the house. what line should i have used?

Something rated for external use.

the CAT5 option - does that plug into the master socket or the router? and whats at the other end? which cable /parts should i buy from tlc?

The router. At the other end goes an 8P8C ('RJ45') socket, to which you can attach a switch.

sorry i am a complete novice. i have just built an entire house as a complete novice. lots of mistakes everywhere (though 100% structurally sound) and lots of creative stuff everywhere.

Should've wired the whole place up for networking to begin with!

i can still run a wire through the house at this stage, by taking a floorboard up etc. so i am not devastated that my extension cable isnt right - but its not, right?

It's not right, no.

ok sorry to bang on about this.

i plan to do one of the following:

1. replace the outside cable with some actual outdoor cable (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160666227445#ht_2275wt_1158) right up to the point where the extension cable goes under the render.

2. replace the whole cable and run 25m of external cable right to the new master socket.

which one of these shall i do? how do i join this cable to the bt cable? (in a box?)

the remaining issue should be that i need to put a master socket on the end of it. once thats done, i should have full service again. according to the logic i have heard.

i see that cat5 cables have an rj45 on either end. if i run one of these under the floor, do i just have 2 loose ends sticking up somewhere? or can i cut the rj45 ends off and wire them into some sockets? is this easy?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I think you should...

1. Re-instate the Master socket where BT installed it, either the one you broke or a replacement master socket.

2. Wire in an extension from the BT socket to your extension socket using outdoor cable.

3. Use your router either at the Master or extension (of course using appropriate filters)

4. Use you phone/s at the master and/or extension.

There is no need to do anything else and no need for external connections.

Bring the original bt cable back in where it use to be and refit the master socket. If you have a problem and an engineer comes out you could be in for a big bill! Or I think they can cut you off.

If you can you will be better running the cable to the new extension indoors.

You can buy cat5e cable without rj45 plugs on the ends and it's you’re choice to crimp on the plugs or wire the cable into faceplates. Faceplates are better for fixed wiring.

The router is best placed at the master socket. So your better running cat5e to the kitchen.

1. If you run external phone cable to the kitchen for the new master socket. You will have problems with your internet connection. Also you will be adding more cable distance to the exchange.

2. If you run external phone cable from the master socket to the kitchen for an extension socket for your router. You will have problems with your internet connection.

3. If you run phone cable indoors from the master socket to the kitchen for an extension socket for your router. It will be better than the above but you won't be getting the most from your internet connection and might still get problems.

4. If you run cat5e indoors or outdoors(external cable) you will face very little problems with your internet connection speed. Any problems you do face are very simply diagnosed. Bring say laptop to router plug it in. If the internets fine then its the cat5e connection to the kitchen at fault.

If you do 2 or 3 and get internet problems it will involve you moving the router back to the master socket to see if things improve.

Totally avoid number 1. If you do decide to still go ahead then enjoy wasting time trying to diagnose and fix any internet connection problems.

All these people who say the extra length to the kitchen has caused the problems have no clue what they're talking about. The signal has already travelled on average 5 THOUSAND metres - an extra 60m isn't going to do enough harm to drop the speed by 75%. The most likely cause is either crap quality cable used, or the quality of the connections / work is poor. Refitting properly will probably reinstate the speed. Refitting the master and keeping the router where it is will also be a sound solution.

Crossing up the twisted pairs in a cable will do for ADSL speeds roughly what myxomatosis does for rabbits.

The line pair should be both wires of the same twisted pair, eg blue/white & white/blue. Anything else will give poor results.

If your cable is not twisted pair construction, then it probably isn't telephone cable.

Or you could re-fit the master socket where it was, and run a Cat5 or Cat6 cable from an ethernet port of the router.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back