Broken bottle gully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

we have a rainwater drain at the front of the house which gathers the rainwater from the driveway and takes it to a soakaway under the lawn.
We had some issues with it backing up so I cleaned out the drain of leaves and mud, and it seems that there is a bottle gully (not sure of the correct terminology) in there.

Something like this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-d515-underground-bottle-gully-square-lid/6244k

The problem is that it seems to be broken at the base, so even though I clean it out regularly, as well as whatever washes off from the drive, I'd guess soil and stones from the garden are flushed up into it every time it rains.

I know the proper solution is to dig it out and replace, but where it is in the driveway means it'd be a bigger job than we'd want to do at this stage (see picture). 2018-08-27 13.00.41.jpg

So basically my question is, as a quick fix, is there anything I can put down that to fill up the broken part and stop the soil washing up every time. I'm thinking maybe quick set mortar but I'm a wee bit afraid to do that in case I make things worse!

Am I way off with that idea?

Attachments

• 2018-08-27 13.00.29.jpg
    2018-08-27 13.00.29.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 303
Sponsored Links
Are you sure there’s a gully there?

I see a few like that where a riser like this:
186B314F-E3DA-4A72-9C59-C63C52328580.png

Has been put there to allow water to pass through the surface. If there definitely is a gully there you could use concrete as long as it doesn’t interfere with the trap and outlet.

Hi Ian,

yes there is definitely an outlet pipe which drains down the garden under the lawn (presumably) to a soakaway, and the "bottle" feels jagged at the bottom as if broken rather than rounded like that one.

When the pipe blocked last winter a drain company removed tree roots from the end of the pipe but that doesn't stop the bottle itself filling up.

Sponsored Links
You could concrete it then but I think you have more problems further down.

Did they cctv it? They could have just removed a couple of roots and left a mass of them in the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back