why would you use a p trap gully over a bottle gully?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking at adding a drain myself as we are changing the sink position from the side of the house to the back and just making sure I understand everything. I have one simple question, it seems I will need to install a Bottle gully but there P Trap gullies too. Every explanation explains that the bottle gully is roddable which is better so why sell the P trap gully, does it have an advantage I am missing.

I'm worried there may be a reason I should use a P trap instead of a bottle for some reason.

Any info/help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
P = deeper, better tap less likely to block or get sucked out.

An ill fitting bottle hopper can let smells out.

Yes a bottle trap can have the hopper removed for rodding, but it's still very difficult, and if the gully is up against a house wall and the outlet at 90° to the wall, more so.

Hi looking at adding a drain myself as we are changing the sink position from the side of the house to the back and just making sure I understand everything. I have one simple question, it seems I will need to install a Bottle gully but there P Trap gullies too. Every explanation explains that the bottle gully is roddable which is better so why sell the P trap gully, does it have an advantage I am missing.

I'm worried there may be a reason I should use a P trap instead of a bottle for some reason.

Any info/help appreciated.
A bottle gully is more compact and provides better access for rodding.

I used a bottle trap recently to replace a P trap.

The bottle trap has a built in AAV which i needed to break syphoning

I must say, works a treat.

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys for the replies but no one has answered my question yet, when or why would you use a p trap over a bottle trap?

A bottle trap seems better to me every time.

could be underground obstructions, or could be if you have two inlets going into one trap (e.g. downpipe and aco into one trap rather than having two of them) or could be you want a sealed system at ground level for whatever reason.
In our case we wanted a sealed system because our combined drain sometimes works in reverse, and it was more neat and reliable than trying to seal a bottle gulley

when or why would you use a p trap over a bottle trap?

On a gully the waste/downpipe stops above the waste grid. The grid can be removed for access and you could have a number of wastes draining in to it.

A p trap can connect directly to the waste/downpipe so no grid.

Just to give different options, one may work better than other depending on the situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back