Broken clay drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
B67959EE-D85C-490C-8163-0512BA536EF4.jpeg
is there a way to temporary make this water tight?

It will be replaced in a few months as part of an extension project.

Previous owners had it sitting on some bricks to hold it up, just found it under a concrete shed base.

Sponsored Links
If it were me I'd buy a couple of clay to upvc rubber couplers and replace the section in plastic.It might be 40 quod of parts but chances are you'll use them all in the new extension anyway.

Thanks for the help.

So cut before the Y and then put the connector on, then plastic back to the soil pipe. Seems straightforward, is an angle grinder the best way to cut the existing clay pipe?

What’s the best way to connect to the cast iron soil pipe?

As said, replace with plastic. All the bits can be salvaged a reused when you do your project.

Sponsored Links
Cut it with a grinder just after the collar that’s out of the picture to the left.

Diamond disc on the grinder works ever so well :)- if you've got one marked Tile Cutting that'll do nicely also

Good job done, only point I would make is if that is a soil pipe, the bend needs to be replaced with a chamber in the long term.

Hopefully just a few months before its all ripped out, I'm going to leave it exposed encase there are any issues between now and then. Currently waiting on planning permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back