Attachments

• IMG_20240120_005653679.jpg
    IMG_20240120_005653679.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240120_005647873.jpg
    IMG_20240120_005647873.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
I mean, is it possible just to replace the handle bit instead of the whole bit including the one that is currently screwed to the door?

Sponsored Links
You have to replace the whole unit.

It may be difficult to find one that has screw holes in exactly the same places.

I mean, is it possible just to replace the handle bit instead of the whole bit including the one that is currently screwed to the door?
If you know what make and model it is sure..

Or, you might find a handle similar enough that can be taken apart and or modified so the L shape fits on the plate you have, so that screws line up etc

If you have a decent set of tools you may well be able to repair what you have by fixing it to the square rod each side (eg drilling a hole through handle and rod, tapping it out and using a grub screw)

That looks as though the handle goes through the faceplate and is held in place with a shim and a circlip.
I would suggest just buying a new pair of handles, which come with a new bar, and throw the old handles away.
Much quicker and easier than trying to drill holes and tapping threads to re-fit a broken one.

If you know what make and model it is sure..

Or, you might find a handle similar enough that can be taken apart and or modified so the L shape fits on the plate you have, so that screws line up etc

If you have a decent set of tools you may well be able to repair what you have by fixing it to the square rod each side (eg drilling a hole through handle and rod, tapping it out and using a grub screw)

Fair enough but if he is able to source a new fitting why would he go to the trouble of removing the handle's circlip when he can just undo the 4 screws and fit the plate and handle?

Good point about drilling for a grub screw, I hadn't thought of that, however he would have do to it both sides of the door and additionally purchase the correct size of grub screw.

Depends if OP can find a close enough match to a) fit the existing holes or cover them and b) match the other handles in the house. If an exact or close match is found, or the inhabitants can live with any handle found then all good..

Repair would be an alternative approach that may be acceptable if one or the other of the above fails.. Yep, the handle and square rod would need attaching both sides

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back