Broken electric shower

Having read the document in that link, my interpretation would be that this work does require notification of the LABC because it will take place in a 'special location'. Would you agree?
No. You are replacing fixed equipment.

I'm quite handy generally, so I don't think it should be that challenging...
Excellent. :)

Sponsored Links
I just spoke to the people at Triton. Because the power light on the unit is not illuminating I was advised that the unit might not be receiving power. They said I should get an electrician round (£££) to check that the unit is receiving power and that there isn't an electrical fault. If the power supply is fine then I should call out one of their engineers who will be able to fix the unit for £95 (apparently, even in the case that the unit has 'died').

I went to look in Homebase this morning, just to get an idea on prices for a replacement. Much more costly than I thought just to buy a new unit so I was hoping Triton would be able to fix it...

What are your thoughts on this?

as already mentioned in your first answer check if you have power to the shower and pullcord.

Sponsored Links
i've got a t80si in a box under a load of broken tiles, it was working when i removed it, should be ok...yours if you want it :p

Just got in and read Softus' reply about the reconnection of the electrics. I was under the impression that refits are notifiable if you aren't qualified, and they should also be inspected by someone who is ??

I just spoke to the people at Triton. Because the power light on the unit is not illuminating I was advised that the unit might not be receiving power. They said I should get an electrician round (£££) to check that the unit is receiving power and that there isn't an electrical fault.
They have given you good advice.

If the power supply is fine then I should call out one of their engineers who will be able to fix the unit for £95 (apparently, even in the case that the unit has 'died').
Whilst that charge is not outrageous, you might want to consider the fact that a brand new T80XR (which I believe is the direct replacement fdor a T80) is the same price.

I went to look in Homebase this morning, just to get an idea on prices for a replacement. Much more costly than I thought just to buy a new unit so I was hoping Triton would be able to fix it.
Er, which shower were you looking at? :eek:

What are your thoughts on this?
My thoughts are that you should check the supply and, if it's not faulty, buy a new T80XR for £95.

Just got in and read Softus' reply about the reconnection of the electrics. I was under the impression that refits are notifiable if you aren't qualified, and they should also be inspected by someone who is ??
Firstly, all work needs an appropriate degree of testing and inspection, and you don't need to be qualified for that work to be legitimate.

The issue of notifiability crops up frequently, but it's important to discriminate between the risk the different type, and severity, of risk inherent (a) in the initial circuit design and installation and (b) in replacing one broken component in such a way that doesn't change the circuit characteristics.

If you remove a broken 8.5kW shower unit and install a new one of the same (or lower) rating, then as long as you do it safely, competently, and according to the MIs, then there's no requirement to notify.

Its strange how many sparks I've spoken to lately on various subjects, and they all talk about notify this, BCO that, and that's mainly about replacements. It's good to get a definitive answer.

Whoa there a moment.

My answer is anything but definitive. Although I've yet to see anything authoritative that contradicts it, it's still only my opinion, i.e. my interpretation of the word and the spirit of the Building Regulations.

But by the way you 'interpret' the info, it may then, by your own admission, not necessarily be correct ?
The way that electrical installation is going, even with what most people would call a 'simple' component replacement, it will require either an inspection by a competent person ( I know that many posts have covered the 'competency' subject ) or installation by said person.
I understand what you said in your thread, but from what I've read, and heard from various qualified electricians, inspection by a qualified person is a necessary requirement on most domestic matters. Maybe I'm wrong though....... :confused:

But by the way you 'interpret' the info, it may then, by your own admission, not necessarily be correct ?
Of course it could be incorrect, but it's based on reading the legislation, not on hearsay. By all means disagree with it - I have no problem with a civilised and reasoned discussion about the merits of different interpretations.

The way that electrical installation is going, even with what most people would call a 'simple' component replacement, it will require either an inspection by a competent person
What?! I've no idea what kind of barometer of progress you're using there, so why do you think that the legislation is heading in that direction?

I understand what you said in your thread, but from what I've read, and heard from various qualified electricians, inspection by a qualified person is a necessary requirement on most domestic matters.
Maybe I'm wrong though....... :confused:
Well I can't tell, because you haven't said what you've read, and you haven't quoted verbatim what you've heard and why you think what you've heard might be authoritative.

Electricians gossip just as much as the next person, and Part P has been a huge bone of contention because it has had the effect of outlawing people who consider themselves qualified by virtue of experience. Some of those people are justifiably, or unjustifiably, irked, so their viewpoint is tainted by that emotion. Some of those who register for Part P certification feel considerable pain at the expense of doing so, others less so. If you ask people in the former category you're likely to get a cynical forecast of the future.

The future doesn't matter - only now matters. You can't break the law if it hasn't been made yet, and you can't act legally unless you stick to the law as it is now.

If you're in any doubt about the interpretation of the need to notify the like-for-like replacement of faulty/broken components, then just imagine whether or not the intent of that part of the law was to require notification of the replacement of every single accessory, fixed appliance, lampholder, and ceiling rose. Competent and safe work is one thing, but you have to ask yourself one question: do you really consider it very likely that the government intended for all that to be reported?

Well, crockett, do ya? :evil:

:LOL: times 10 !!

No I don't. But why do the government bother to write regulation if they are only intending for it to be used as a guideline only ? Is this going to stop joe public from doing works which could end up endangering themselves or others ? Or does everything have to be written as law, as I am 'interpreting' that this is the way that you suggest it should go, so that there is a definitive route to follow ??

I agree in principle that if you are capable / competent to undertake a job which isn't governed by law, then you should be well within your rights to do so. I also think that it could be a dangerous path to follow, if more people who think they ARE competent to do work which they understand isn't illegal ( that old chestnut ! ) could end up in a whole world of trouble.

I also understand that hearsay, as you put it, could be only that. But if someone profers what you believe to be genuine information, and lets be honest if you were to follow that train of thought then most of the info on this site is in this category, then why should you question it ?? If my career is in that particular trade, then I could question another persons interpretation of info, but if I'm not, and I believe that person to be perfectly able in his or her field of work, then I won't.

I'm guessing you have a good spread of knowledge on many trades. I, on the other hand, do not :cry:

peace-0010.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back