Broken front spring or seized top mount on Ford Focus?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a serious clunk from the n/s/f of a 2006 Ford Focus when turning the steering. Are these prone to top strut mount bushes seizing up etc? The car only gets taken out its warm dry garage every couple/few months when I (choose a dry day and) take it for a short spin to make sure it's still ok. It wasn't like this on it's last outing in about October. When turning to full left lock to reverse out the drive it gave a huge clunk, then another when straightening up, accompanied by a loud 'pyong' spring noise. I could also feel the clunks through the steering wheel. The noises could be replicated when turning/straightening to either lock, but worse to the left.
I haven't investigated any further than a cursory glance at the top wheel arch gap, which seems about the same as the other side, making me think it might not be a broken spring.
It's a 2006 Focus 1.6 Ghia auto with about 50k miles.
Any help appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
I'd agree with Eddie there, but change the top mount anyway at the same time. Its an easy spring change on these.
John :)

Sponsored Links
At least the springs are parallel, unlike those bloody awful Peugeot things.....narrower at the top and bottom and don't even stand up on their own.
Like trying to compress a very powerful cobra!

At least the springs are parallel, unlike those bloody awful Peugeot things.....narrower at the top and bottom and don't even stand up on their own.
Like trying to compress a very powerful cobra!

It's a wise purchase getting a decent spring compressor, the cheapy ones are a menace to say the least.

I couldn't agree more......the Peugeot springs need 3 compressors to hold them - normally 2 will do!

Sponsored Links
Back