Broken Inside Pane on Double Glazed Window

18 Apr 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a 40cm x 80cm double glazed window at the bottom of the stairs which the bottom of my chair took a liking to! It's broken the inside pane with a 5cm round hole and cracking from hole to edge.

Is it possible to replace just the broken section or does the whole unit have to be replaced? Don't have many details about the double glazed windows themselves apart from they are about 20 years old.
Sponsored Links
sorry darren

the whole unit needs replacing ;)

if the window is an opener measure the thickness of the frame
measure the distance between between glass and frame both sides and theres you thickness
I had a feeling that was the answer :confused:

What's involved then? A glazing company creating a unit of the right size and 30 mins at the house to fit it? What do they put inbetween the panes, an inert gas? Hundred quid perhaps?

Whatever the cost, it's an expensive way to learn to always take your swivel chair apart and carry it up the stairs in two trips! :(
Sponsored Links
if its an opener unscrew the wondow in the frame and let them do it all :D ;)
garenteed to fit then ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local