Broken macerator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a downstairs loo with a macerator attached to it that has now gone wrong.

My other half flushed the loo and the macerator kicked in but made a really weird monotone noise (normally it sounds like something is turning round inside it, like a washing machine does) which kind of sounded like something was stuck in it. Then water started pouring out of where the electric cable goes into the macerator and did stop after a few minutes (small consolation that was!) I tried pouring some water into the pan of the loo and the box overflowed again.

I inherited this stupid thing with the house last year and I have no idea how they work really. I have asked both the handyman I use and a plumber I was recommended and they said they couldn't/wouldn't fix it so I am a bit stuck as to what to do next really! :(

Can anyone recommend a solution to this?? I am completely clueless as regards plumbing and drains etc! :oops:

Thanks! Linz

Sponsored Links
Would not like to repair a macerator. ugh ( vomits in corner)

As for fitting a new unit cant see what the problem is. ?

I have heard that these ruddy things are quite expensive, is this the case and would I still need someone to plumb it in, or are they easy to fit?

You can get them from Screwfix.
As for your problem i would try:
Isolate from power supply.
Remove top.
Investigate for outlet blockage.
Clean and refit top.

If its clean and clear, do not switch on power but flush loo, it SHOULD run in and out of the unit proving you do not have a blockage down stream.
If this works ok, switch on power and flush.
i must say that i do have a macerator that i fitted just like yours in a down stairs loo so i know it should run in and out without the power supply on, but have NEVER had to remove the top. So thats what i would do it i had your problem Linz.
Good luck and please do update when you sort it.
Peter

Sponsored Links
Sorry should have said, the unit is Very easy to remove and replace.
Peter

Remove top.
Investigate for outlet blockage.
Clean and refit top.

Not if you have any sense.

DUH!
but have NEVER had to remove the top.

Its obvious you ain't opened the top. Advising someone to open theirs is taking the pis*. :evil:

Sorry, but i did say thats what i would do and i have never had to open mine.
If all you can add to this question is DUH! You an`t much help.

LinzEMG

Please be aware if you take 75pete's unprofessional advice, you will be opening an unit that has been subjected to human waste products for several years.

The manufacturers advice that unit should only be serviced by an approved engineer, who will be, prior to working on the unit, familiar with the correct disinfecting of the unit.

Oh! I have had the pleasure of been trained on taking the top off and familiarising myself with the internal workings. Fortunately it was a brand new demonstration unit.

Sod dipping my hands in to someones ****e

Sorry, but i did say thats what i would do and i have never had to open mine.

Well now is a good time to get the practice in a relaxed way rather than being forced to do it at some critical time. You could take a few photos that would help Linz too :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back