Broken Multipoint Front Door Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to source a replacement Multipoint front door lock for my mother's house. The keep in the lock has snapped and as a result the door handle no longer operates the lock (it is currently stuck closed).

I managed to open the door today and strip the lock and mechanism out of the door to find the root of the problem. When I opened up the lock it was clear that the broken keep was the problem. However, I cannot see any manufacturer's markings on the inside or outside of the lock. The only numbers stamped in the lock were 6079 (on the keep) and 6069 on another component in the lock.

The only other useful piece of info that I have are, that the Multipoint lock is a two bolt -one top and one bottom - (plus the lock on the key) closure type, it was fitted to the house new by Stewart Milne builders in 1998 and the door catch (that the handle operates) isn't a solid piece of metal - it has a middle section that sort of hinges when it retracts (not the best description!!).

Does anyone have any tips on how to narrow down my search fir a replacement lock? I have added a few photos below to assist with identifying the lock.

Many thanks.

John

Sponsored Links
Ok - after some mind numbingly boring internet searching this morning (very hard to find something when you have no idea who makes it....), I think I might have found the lock model.

I have attached a link below to what I think is the lock I need - any views??

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...&ndsp=20&tbs=isch:1&ei=JIkYTdHdJouYhQeEsvW3Dg

Next challenge will be finding a stockist that can send one to Scotland before Xmas 2011!! :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I did a bit of Googling myself this afternoon and found a number of options ranging from £105 - £330!!! Seen a few places offering to supply the lock for £150 - £175.

Now I just need to wait for the suppliers to re-open after Xmas..... :)

Some suppliers are quoting a 14 week lead time for supplying one of these locks...!! :eek:

I must say it is a very obscure lock, never even seen one let alone fitted one :cry:

Incidentally, where did the post go with the MILA vs MILLENCO suggestion go?

That's an excellent question! I got an email update about the post that said that Mila locks weren't to be recommended and when I logged in to view it, it was nowhere to be seen?

I had wondered whether there were any other locks that might be suitable replacements.

From memory I think that Stewart Milne were selling their houses back in 1998 on the basis that these locks and some sort of solid Swedish timber doors were very secure - no idea whether that was true or not.

Now found two suppliers who just sell the main lock assembly rather than the whole lock assembly and at least one has it in stock! Result :)

Upvc doors have a standard backset of 35mm nowadays although there are a few that can be 45mm, yours however i believe is a 55mm and you will be limited to choice because of this, otherwise you'd have a whole host of MPL's to choose from........including Mila ;)

Hey if you can just get the gearbox instead of the whole lot then thats a result, who managed to get one for you? Its always nice to add another supplier of odd ball mechanisms to my list :D

Managed to get the main lock assembly only on 5 day delivery for £58+VAT. Supplier is AC Leigh (www.acleigh.co.uk).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back