Broken neutral help?

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m still learning about wiring. Am I right in thinking if an existing thermostat was left in place with the neutral connected via the fcu, if there was a broken neutral fault, then the thermostat end could become live? Thus, would be better decommissioned?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking if an existing thermostat was left in place with the neutral connected via the fcu, if there was a broken neutral fault, then the thermostat end could become live?
It could depending on where the break was.

Thus, would be better decommissioned?
That would be better if the thermostat is no longer used regardless.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
That would be better if the thermostat is no longer used regardless.
Thanks, I tend to do this anyway, even if they want the existing one on the wall to save on decorating, I just cut the wires/cable back in the fcu. It’s more for trying to educate colleagues.

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you have disconnected at both ends, put all three conductors in one terminal block so it is obvious that it is not being used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back