Live neutral cables??

Try eBay.

But unless you're desparate for the cash, hang onto it - there are times when an analogue is better than digital.

Sponsored Links
Panjandrum said:
PS: And of course it is possible to get things a little mixed up even if you use a meter - quote from another thread:

best misuse ive had was a someone changed the light for a new 1 and when they switched it on the switch made a blue flash and wont switch off and the fuse blew. turns out they got the 3 wires mixed up and tested for the wire with the lowest resistance, since that was the switch. it wasnt. it was the feed to the next light. so they wired it with the switch accross phase and neutral. lite re-wired and switch replaced and all worked

Gentlemen:
I don't want to prolong this conversation as I rather think that, ignoring a few misunderstandings, we could filter out a dose of common sense from the above.
But on the other thread I referred to before it looks rather as if the poster, having been encouraged to buy a multimeter by this forum, is measuring resistance in amps using the voltage range.
I could well be misunderstanding something, but it sounds a bit worrying to me.
PJ

Sponsored Links
swelec said:
when clearing out my attic, found my old MK7 avo - if anything dates me, that does

I still have an Avo 8 Mk. III that my late father acquired about 35 years ago. It never saw heavy use, so is still in immaculate condition. As it also has something of sentimental value to me, it never leaves the home/workshop, but I certainly still use it regularly on my workbench.

There are indeed plenty of cases where a good quality analog meter is better than digital. Adjusting circuitry for peak or null, or monitoring a slowly changing voltage where the sampling rate of a digital meter makes it incapable of keeping up with the changes,

I still use the old favorite Simpson 260 regularly in my electronics work as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back