Broken Stair Tread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my stairs bare for over a year now due to other work going on (slowly) in the rest of the house. Two of the treads (I think that is what they're called) have split where they overhang the riser. Can I replace these or will I just have to make do with a damaged staircase?

Sponsored Links
without pics its hard to see the best repair. But i would guess at buying some 18mm plywood and cutting some to fit over the top of the broken tread.

without pics its hard to see the best repair. But i would guess at buying some 18mm plywood and cutting some to fit over the top of the broken tread.

unfortunatly its a wee bit more difficult than mattys sugestion because all stairs must be equal in tread and riser now you think its going to be coverd so no one will notice!!

the point is it will be a trip hazard because your brain sences the first and second tread and workes to that span so odd steps are a trip hazard
now iff its the bottom 2 your ok because you brain will over clear the step rather than kick the nose ;)

is underneath off your steps open!!

what wood and what thickness are your treads!!

I think some pics maybe useful here, will post some later or tomorrow.
Thanks for your replies but I am not helping you by not providing pictures am I.

Sponsored Links
pictures arnt essential but stop miscomunication and mistakes ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back