Broken threshold on front door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
I would say if you can fit that storm threshold over your now damaged original threshold "your a better man than I am Gunga Din" :confused: ...pinenot ;)

Sponsored Links
Your alli idea is sound if you can just find the right profile.

Is it coming out of their pocket money? :D

It's only about £13, so I might just buy it, then be able to see it in the flesh, and decide from there whether it is doable - was just hoping someone else had had a crack at it before, and could share their wisdom. :)

Impossible if you want it invisible, i'm Konig trained in the type of repairs shown in the link above. You should tell your kids not to stand on the threshold! ;)

If it was white i or someone else trained in pvc repairs would reconstruct the pvc using 2 part SMC carbon fibre impregnated filler to fill the bulk out sand flat (ish) and then apply several coats of finer Galv X filler to get the smooth finish, then spray primer and then finish with the correct colour white

With it being brown coloured pvc with a light oak foil applied obviously there can be no filling or sanding, small dents, scratches and chips can be filled with hard and soft wax sticks, larger repairs will need the grain touching back in afterwards with coloured paints and very fine paint brushes

I have seen some pvc systems on my travels that have a (in your case) a gold anodised cap that i assume is glued over the threshold to protect it from doing this exact thing, it would wrap over the bevel and go right down to the cill just stopping short so as not to block the drainage, if i knew where to get these it would help me also in my line of work but never seen them advertised so assume they must be specific the the pvc system.

Maybe some of the fabricators who frequent this forum could shed some light?

Not too worried about invisible repair, Crank - just don't want to leave it until they snap even more off!

OK, joking apart, there are a number of ways of looking at this, but firstly I think you've sussed the most important part - any filling in will be weak and most likely not very kid-proof.
Q. does the broken profile cause any problems (apart from the look) and if so, what?
Q. is that metal (assumed) weather bar in your pic removable?

...pinenot :)

OK, joking apart, there are a number of ways of looking at this, but firstly I think you've sussed the most important part - any filling in will be weak and most likely not very kid-proof.
Q. does the broken profile cause any problems (apart from the look) and if so, what?
Q. is that metal (assumed) weather bar in your pic removable?

...pinenot :)

Apart from aesthetics, no obvious problems noticed.

What do you mean by the presumed metal weather bar? The dark grey strip on the bottom of the frame looks like plastic to me. The thing towards the bottom of the door is detachable, although I siliconed it on, so it wouldn't leak behind

Have you got the pieces that came off? You could super glue them back in and silicone a bit of 20mm golden oak trim on the angle then touch up the few visible cracks with brown silicone.

Crank mentioned a metal cover piece I have only seen these on the cills though but you may be able to get a metal worker to make a plate to cover the front of the threshold. Maybe a stainless steel strip bent to the same angle just to cover the broken bits and protect it from getting worse

What do you mean by the presumed metal weather bar? The dark grey strip on the bottom of the frame looks like plastic to me. The thing towards the bottom of the door is detachable, although I silicone d it on, so it wouldn't leak behind[/quote]

I can only presume it because I can't touch it or anything else, that's what I meant when I said I can only presume.

First off, if it's not causing any function breakdown do you really need to fix it?
Secondly I wanted to know, if you were intent on fixing what the situation was. Assuming you could take it off then screw fit a thin piece of "L" shaped steel (full length) hard against the breaks, that would provide strength. Then you could fill the breaks themselves, with either a matching epoxy two part repair putty, or similar, or better probably fill them and paint the whole strip front, brass or aluminium or whatever colour takes your fancy. You would then probably have to lift the door for clearance, using the grub screws in the bottom of the hinges (usually positioned there) ...pinenot :)

Thanks for the advice, Pinenot - I was not being funny with the "presumed metal" bit - I was trying to determine if we were both talking about the same component. :)

I did try gluing the pieces back in with solvent weld, but they were broken off again fairly quickly.
If you can see in the photo, where the gap is in the (whatever it is called), the rubber seal strip still bridges it. Which is good; however, with the bits missing, that seal is vulnerable, and will (I'm sure) eventually get ripped apart. Hence why I was looking at the possibility of fixing the metal bar (linked in first post) over the (whatever it is called).

I suppose anything is a short to mid-term fix - the longer-term solution is a new front door / frame - ideally with no (whatever it is called) at all :D

Right oh Brigadier (salute) what I suggest (last reply) I would hope would be permanent and would allow the broken pieces to remain glued, with epoxy glue (best)...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back