broken wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,
I'm wondering if I can get any advice on my now-broken wardrobe. I guess I put on too much weight on the rail and the ?fitting broke and the rail dropped.

so,
1)What should I do? Where do I buy the replacements.
2)are there any new things I can try out, cuz i find myself running out of space to store my shirts/tshirts.

please chip in some idea. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
thanks for the suggestions. i have few more questions please.

the shelf in my wardrobe is supported by 2 of this hinges
and of course, there's the little plastic nuts nailed into the sides (as in pictures in first post)

I'm just wondering, if it is safe to remove the 2 hinges for replacement? is it difficult to reinstall the hinges so they support a good weight of the shelf?

Sponsored Links
I had a better look at http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/207/wardrobe_fittings/
It seems that with wichever end support brackets i choose, I will inevitably need to re-drill a hole on the wall.
The other thing is, if I choose the oval rail, their oval socket and their oval rail don't seem to fit each other snugly... or am I missing something?

wickes!
i think i found my oval socket!! i was actually near a wickes store just now. oh well, until my next grocery shopping...

thanks bilous

hi guys,
I need some advice again.

I have found the bracket and sockets that match my oval rail, which would mean I will need to change the middle bracket to this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Chrome/Oval-Centre-Bracket/invt/160692&temp=largeimage

Now, I think part of the shelf's weight is supported by the original bracket, being nailed to the wall and all. When i tried unscrewing the original bracket, i heard the shelf creak under my clothes' weight.

so, what should i do? go ahead and do it? will the shelf crack?
please advice! thanks

Either unload the shelf first (!) or leave the brackets well alone and attach the new ones just behind/infront or below the originals.

As spooky says leave the existing brackets in place, you can trim the rail carrier part off with a hacksaw if you need to and smooth off any rough edges with some sandpaper.

Add a couple of centre brackets to spread the load.

Probably, but where do you start looking, you will be able to get similar but that would involve drilling into the wall which, I get the impression, you are trying to avoid.

Fit the metal ones from Wickes and just tidy up the plastic brackets is my advice.

ah...you narrowed down on my fear. yeah, i'm not really a diy guy, although have been playing with idea of redoing the whole wardrobe. the shelf and one long rail don't seem to offer enough space...

thanks though! :D

okay. i need one more help here. thanks guys.
basically, i'm trying to make a screw hole in the shelf. what instrument should I use? i've been trying to google "how to drill screw hole wood" but have not come across anything.
please advice.

Although some screws can be started and driven in without a pilot, it's probably easier for a beginner to use a bradawl.

I prefer to use a birdcage awl, with a square section, but the ordinary chisel-shaped awl will do fine for most purposes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back