Brown, Black and Grey cables! HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a light switch in my kitchen which operates my main lights and under unit lights. They have worked fine since the house was built 2 years ago until this monring when I went to turn off the under unit lights and they stayed on. The switch seems to have broken. The other switch works just fine. I went to homebase and bought a new 2 gang, 2 way switch.

One point to note is that on one of my under unit lights there is a little switch that turns off half of the under unit lights, the rest can only be turned off by using the wall switch.

Basically, I have 2 main cables entering the box. Each contains a brown cable, black and greay cable (also an earth). They are connected as per the image - //www.diynot.com/network/caithalan/albums/2829/10913

The new switch I have doesn't have L1, L2 or L3 on it instread has 1 way, 2 way and com. I'm lost!! Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Basically L1 on old is equal to com on new switch
L2 on old is equal to L1 on new
and L3 on old is equal to L2 on new

And the terminals for each switch are arranged in two inverted isocoles triangles, with com (new) or L1 (old) at the far point

That switch does look to be wired in a strange way though... did the two way always work properpy?

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks

I ahve rewired the new switch but still when I try to turn off my lights they stay on! I need to use the trip for the downstairs lights! They are all run off a transformer that sits above my cabinets - I would have though that it would have the power to it cut and it would turn off - could the transformer be to blame?

hi Adam 151

The switch worked fine but it dud reverse on itself for a while (I had to switch to on possition to turn it off and vice versa before goign back the other way!)

What half of the switch is doing the under counter lights.
The two way one with 3 connections used
or
The one way with 2 connections used.

If the under counter lights are two way it may be the other two way switch has been operated, which caused the switching to reverse temporary.
The problem may be that end

the keft hand side as you look at it controls the under unit lights which won't turn off at all - still on even when I turn the light switch on and off!

Was it ever Two way, them 2 grey cables look more like a bodged over ride.

Where is the other end of them, if the two greys go to a 1 way switch, then with that closed the lights will stay on regardless of you switching that double switch.

Do the lights flicker for a moment as you switch between up and down or hold it in the mid point neither up or down.

The under counter lights are unlikely to have a 2 way switch built in.
Do a pic of that switch also.

Was the above pic taken before you dabbled with it.

swap the blacks around, you may heve mixed them up..

to help us diagnose, we need photo's of the wiring of the other switches, at the light itself, and any connections to the under cupboard lighting transformer..

I think thats his old switch in the pic, possibly taken before he dabbled, but who knows.

His first post says his new switch has Com rather than L1

my guess is that it's been bodged some time ago...

we need the full set of pictures to diagnose properly..

it's like saying here's my hand x-ray from before the crash, why do my ribs hurt?

I would gues that the under unit lights are not two way switched but one way with two switches in series for one of the sets of lights.

Photos will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back