Outside light Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just moved into a new build which has cable already in for 2 outside lights (just incase you have a conservatory).
The switch is located in the lounge, and is a double one which also switches the main lounge lights (there is also another light switch to control the lights in the lounge). I have noticed that the cable is not connected to the outside and need advice to wire please.
At the moment, I have:
top of switch (right to left)
L1 - brown
L3 - brown
L2 - grey (with brown marker)

Bottom of switch (right to left)
L3 - empty
L2 - empty
L1 - black (with brown marker)

The cable which needs to be connected is Brown, grey and Black. COuld anyone point me to which terminals I should wire to?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The wiring you have described is two switches (side by side) that are both in use, you will need to change it for a 3 gang switch. Your light will also need a neutral and earth, hopefully the neutrals and earths are are tucked away inside the box.

Thanks for this.
It is a side by side switch, but bizarrely, one of the switches does nothing, thus my thinking it's for the outside like our neighbours.
Any thoughts why it's been wired for both?

Sponsored Links
It is unclear from your description how the switches are actually wired and how many are live.

Photographs would go a good way to help us resolve this issue for you.

The wiring you have described is two switches (side by side) that are both in use

Not sure how you conclude that.

Draw the switch as he describes.

L1, L3 and L2 from R-L along the top.

L3, L2 and L1 from R-L along the bottom.

Now draw a diagonal line that separates the two groups of L1/L2/L3.

After drawing in the connections, it would appear that one switch just has a feed to L1 (common) but nothing outgoing.

The other switch has a conductor in each terminal.

This, I guess, is the 2way for the lounge light.

The OP needs to find out (safely) if the brown in L1 is a live feed or not and what the unconnected 3 core is connected to at the other end.

Are there cables installed to lighting positions? If so, there is probably a JB somewhere.

To proceed further, we do need pix.

what we realy need to know is how many cables there are at each point, is the brown in the L1 terminal top right a single & earth cable or a twin cable etc

What you really need to know is, are the cables that you described in your first post
I've just moved into a new build which has cable already in for 2 outside lights (just incase you have a conservatory).
actually connect to the switch you also mentioned.
You need to do a continuity test

Sorry do the late response, got told I had to go shopping!
Below are 2 picture (not the best quality, sorry). The first is the rear of the double switch straight on and the second picture shows the 3 wires I have which link the outside light.
Thanks for your help with this!

297beca4.jpg

efc68722.jpg

what wire / wires are sticking out of the wall at the light positions?
and how many blue wires are in that block?

On on of the outside lights there are:
2 x black
2 x grey
2 x brown
And two earth

On the other there is just one of each wire.

Re other question about the blue wire, there is just one.

Thanks again!

well you should prove that the blue is neutral and the brown in L1 is live but it probably is so if you put the brown of the three core in L2 and the grey in the block with the blue wire, (you should put some blue oversleeving or blue tape on the grey) then one of the three core cables outside will have 230V acrosss brown & grey, (with the switch on)
then wire the other cable in parallel brown to brown grey to grey to send 230V to the other light.
the third core is if you wanted to put in PIR lights, i guess the electrician was forward thinking

well you should prove that the blue is neutral and the brown in L1 is live but it probably is so if you put the brown of the three core in L2 and the grey in the block with the blue wire, (you should put some blue oversleeving or blue tape on the grey) then one of the three core cables outside will have 230V acrosss brown & grey.
then wire the other cable in parallel brown to brown grey to grey to send 230V to the other light.
the third core is if you wanted to put in PIR lights i guess the electrician was forward thinking

Thank you so much! The lights we have bought are none PIR ones, so this is perfect. Will give it a go tomorrow.

only other thing is do it with power off, cant see if the earth is connected of the three core, so make sure it is especially if your lights require an earth, let site know how you get on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back