Brown cardboard stuff stuck to floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

After removing the kitchen units I noticed under the plywood that is under the vinyl floor tiles all put up possibly 10 - 20 years ago, there is this cardboard paper stuff stuck the the floorboards and the tiles. Just wondering was this some sort of old backing to lino? The flat is from the 1920s. Though knowing just how much they loved to throw asbestos where ever they could in those days poisoning the future generations! Do you think this could be the nasty stuff? Feels papery like old card but can never be sure. Just though was card a more common thing they used under the lino tiles? Either way if I take it off I will probably try to steam it and give it a good soak.

WP_20170831_001.jpg
WP_20170831_002.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's very thin like cardboard. There are little fibers in it though it all looks like old paper. My only guess is that it was some sort of paper or card backing to the old lino tiles that were ripped off? I found a tiny tiny piece of the old lino tile under the floorboards.

They used to lay a thick paper over floorboards to stop draughts and dust from coming up, and also to stop,cheap foam backed carpet from sticking to the floor.

Sponsored Links
Yeah it could be that, though only found this in the kitchen and not the rooms. I also caught this video on youtube and some of the comments scream asbestos which gets me worried :(

Looks similar to what I got though mine are just patched where someone has already pulled most of it off. I'm not sure if this paper was stuck down first then the tile, or if it is already stuck to the vinyl tile and glued to the floor? Hence why it is ripped top side.

I think giving it a good steaming and gently scrape it off and wrap it in newspaper would be a good precaution. Asbestos is relatively ok to disturb as long as its soaked wet so the fibres don't escape when torn right?

scraping and asbestos are not words i would use in the same breath
wet yes if it can be done with minimum structural disturbance yes but scraping tends to delaminate
great care required but only if its asbestos

I think the best thing to do is assume it is asbestos and spend more time using precaution ;)

Another thing to add is if I use the steamer will it be ok on the wooden tongue groove floorboards? There might be an electrical wire running under (though that's all insulated.)

Just to confirm this was asbestos!! I had it tested and then had a registered company remove it. They had to literally chisel it off the floorboards! If anyone spots this stuff on their floor have it tested and never assume it is just paper before removing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back