Brown grease leeching through new paint in kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi & help! My sister & I have been refurbing our deceased dads house, has been a mega job, had to completely neutralize his very arty much loved decor - but was decor that would have sent potential buyers running for the hills! Anyway have ivoried all walls & ceilings thanks to my mr Bosch sprayer made life although painful doing it much easier! But the prob we have is the kitchen ceiling that I have painted white had years of brown grease , nicotine & gunk on it! We just couldn't bear to do the right thing & scrub it before painting - it would have taken forever! So now we are paying the price- the brown gunk is still after 3 sprays of paint leeching through. Pleas is there an easy to apply product that will seal this crap so I can then just do 1 more coat of paint! All. Can think of is stain block but the cans are small,expensive & not ideal for a big area! Yes we know we should have done it properly, but after using nearly 200l of paint to do the rest of the house we were done! Knackered
Not ungreatful to our much loved dad for leaving us an amazing legacy! But jus wishing he was a 'magnolia' man! Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's a big house in london why didn't you get a team of decorators in? Hardly going to break the bank is it?

Must be huge.

Do it properly and not leave a problem for the person that buys the house, its a bit unfair to do a bodge isn't it?

You need to scrub the ceiling with hot water and sugar soap, go over a couple of times and then clean off thoroughly with cold clean water, do this several times. Then apply a coat or two of zinsser coverstain or bin before your finish coat of choice.

Thanks, no it's not a huge house in London we're not renovating a million plus pile! it's a 2 bedroom avge sized end terrace in a village in NE Scotland. We don't have spare money ( both have own mortgages), to get a decorator in or believe me we would have done it in a flash! Completely refurbing a whole house to sell is neither my or my sisters idea of a fun way to spend our summer holidays!Dad only left us a very small sum apart from the house And why so much paint? We couldn't strip the wallpaper off easily on internal plasterboard type walls - where we did try to strip we've ended up with lots of different layers & textures & to try & go further would have ended up digging into the plasterboard, we used a paint stripping tool & chemical stripper( in the bathroom & kitchen walls)- we are going to pay someone to wallpaper those rooms as We have never wallpapered before which is why we didn't just paper over the entire house - so we had to cover very dark wallpaper with paint- took a lot of paint! Will try your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Apart from getting the team of decorators in! Sadly no dosh for that luxury!

You could always hire a decent power steam cleaner, that should take the erroneous plaintiff and the grease out.

Then start again and I'd go with the Zinsser block which is good enough to cover old pub ceilings with nicotine yellow staining.

If it was nicotine you would have a fair chance Zinsser bulseye 123 or Classidur classic (which you can just paint over tobacco stains without any prep but at something like £100 plus for 10 litres it's not the fumes that will make your eyes water) :) if you have painted over grease I'm afraid you have burnt your bridges.
I would get a quote for a plasterer to overboard and skim the ceiling you will end up with a perfect ceiling surface job done! Worth the cost in the amount of grief you will save yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back