Brown semi-concealed Gas meter box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We had one of these boxes fitted by National Grid yesterday and BG then installed a meter inside the box.
I have just checked inside the box and it is full of rainwater - i emptied it out the best i could but it is slowly filling up again so i assume the water is coming up through the hole in the bottom of the tank which the gas pipe passes through.
The box seems very low to the ground - the front end is actually below ground level and the back end is practically at the same level of the ground. I have driven around the area and the other brown boxes i have seen all seeem to be about 3-4 inches above ground level (the front end of the box). Does anyone know if water inside the meter is normal ?
I am going to phone National Grid tomorrow to ask them as i am sure the installtion has not been done right but would like to hear from anyone else who has experienced water in the box ?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Theyre usually very dry. The creepy crawleys love 'em :D

They should not fill up too much but with the holes in the bottom if there is a high ground water level then it will fill up. Which is not a problem if it has a proper semi concealed meter which is made out of fibreglass or some sort of plastic and is resistant to water but if it has a normal metal case meter this will eventually rot through somewhere

Can't think of anywhere in Norwich that has the ground water level that close to the surface :confused:

Sponsored Links
Know a guy who tried to make a few extra holes to help one drain only to put screw driver straight through water service. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back