Brown stains, but no leak! (with pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys and merry christmas to everyone...

I've got brownish "nicotine" like stains on the second living room ceiling.
When I asked the previous occupant about it, he said that some years ago, they filled the bath and forgot it, so the water came on the bathroom floor and leaked here. but now it is dry.

That conversation was in summer.

Few weeks ago, I noticed [or imagined] the ceiling is having more flaking and the brown stains kind of spreading. I touched it and it was hard and no wetness.

I went upstairs to inspect any water leaks.
Above this stain is the toilet seat upstairs and a fully working radiator.
I checked the toilet seat base and the cistern and found dry floor and wood.
I checked the radiator's valve and found no leaks or wetness.

Anyway, I thought I was imagining the stains becoming stronger and spreading. So I went to Homebase and bought a white matt finish paint spray [RUST-OLEUM, PAINTER'S TOUCH, WHITE MATT FINISH]
rust-oleum-painters-touch-matt-white-2211-p.jpg

and sprayed the whole stained area perfectly. but after one week, the stains came back!

szfma1.jpg

153uvqd.jpg

none of us smoke nor the pervious occupant.

the questions:

1) In normal life, and when there is no current water leak. What brings old stains to life?
2) Could the cause be the upstairs radiator's pipe hotness that could pass above that area?
3) Some suggested that flaked plaster/gypsum to be removed. Does that mean removing the whole room plaster? cos as you see in the pictures, there are some kind of design in the ceiling.
4) If I can't solve it. How much is the cost to hire a professional person and deal with it. [by the way, what do they call the person who does that kind of work?]

Sponsored Links
looks like there is a leakage, I will check toilet overflow pipe (if external) and water condensation on the cistern (or on cistern feeding pipe)-in some cases is necessary to lift floor boards upstairs to localize it, to check if plasterboard is dry you will need to use damp meter- this will help you to find center of the drip as well.
After source of the leak is eliminated you will need to strip off flaking textured plaster and lose materials, treat plasterboard with PVA diluted with water, apply artex textured finish and make matching design with sponge (for example), stain still can go trough so is good idea to treat repaired area and surrounding (+/- 40cm) with stain block (use brush application one- not spray version) after dry paint with ordinary matt emulsion
Salute
MINDEX

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back