help with repair to ceiling leak stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

We just bought a house that had these two stains on the kitchen ceiling:

After a bit of investigation, I concluded that one stain was from worn sealant around the en-suite shower (sealant replaced) and the other from a leaky joint in the airing cupboard (olive replaced, leak stopped). It's been a couple of weeks since I made these repairs and the ceiling felt bone dry, so I thought I'd try to paint over the stain. I had to remove a 25 cm strip of plasterboard joint tape. I bought some joint tape to replace it but it didn't stick with the paper glue that I used. My first question is then what should I use to make it stick? Would wallpaper glue work?

Anyway, I still put on a coat of white emulsion with a basic paintbrush and and achieved this result:

My second question is how many coats will it take for the stains not to show through at all and does the fact that after one layer it still shows through in one or two places mean that the root of the problem is not fixedl? My third question finally is how do I achieve the textured effect (stippled?) that you can see on the rest of the ceiling?

Any help much appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
The stained areas will need to be sealed to prevent this staining from reforming, you could achieve this by one application of an oil based undercoat. However seeing as the stains are due to water damage there is a possiblity that salts have been released which could result in the formation of efflorescence, in which case the undercoat would fail.

A better choice would be to apply one coat of an Alkali resisting primer, then you would be ok to carry on with your emulsion.

Dec

Sorry missed the other two questions, to busy eating my take away. Jointing compound will stick back the tape yet seeing as this is artex and you need to repair the textured coating you could use that, remember to soak the tape first in water. repairing the Artex can prove difficult so try and achieve a free flowing mix and apply it to the damaged area, then you will need to reproduce the stippled effect. you could achieve this with either a stipple brush or lightly dabbing the width of a paintbrush, yet a perfect match will prove difficult.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back