Brush choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy some quality brushes and am swayed towards Wooster brushes, so what Wooster range of brushes will i need for emulsion paint, and are Hamilton brushes best for oil based paint?

Sponsored Links
The make and type of brushes are a personal choice and each Decorator will have his or her favourites, I use Hamiltons for both oil and emulsion paints and prefer the Purdy for Acrylics etc. Others will prefer Wooster as both brands offer good quality.

Dec

the main choice is bristle or synthetic. I refused to use synthetics since I first tried them 20 years ago - and they were awful. Today I use them more than bristle, particularly where you want a straight line such as around window frames or coving.

What do the pros in here prefer?

I use wooster and purdy. Purdy synthetic for WB paints and wooster bristle for oil. As we're being pushed into more and more acrylic finishes the purdy is probably the best all round brush for me as they are good for both, swear they wear quicker than they used to tho. The wooster synthetic i used didn't hold enough paint.

Sponsored Links
Hamiltons for oils and Rodo x7s for emulsion/acrylics, they have a more chiseled edge than other synthetic brushes, better for cutting in.

My brother is a painter and decorater and he has purdy brushes. If I disrespect them and leave them for 2 mins I get **** off him. He evan still has the cardboard sleeves they came in. WTF is that all about?

As stated it is down to personal choice.

I prefer quality synthetics with wooster being my fav. Unfortunately Wooster north of the Thames in London are hard to get hold of and Wooster do not do the cheaper multipack like Purdy do.

Traditional bristle brushes swell when used with water based paints (unlike synthetics). They need breaking in so that the loose tips are removed. ironically the breaking in is often done by painting water based emulsions over rough surfaces. The last natural brushes that I purchased were the natural Purdys, out of the box they left bits of broken tips on the paint finish. I gave them away- I don't have the time to "condition" brushes.

I use American synthetics exclusively, the better quality ones have different bristle materials and the tips are flagged to help pick up the paint. They also tend to maintain their shape better than natural brushes after cleaning. Hair loss is very rare.

Synthetics do degrade in time though, whereas many owners prefer the feel/shape of their naturals as they age.

Mainly, because of cost/availability, I use the 3 inch Purdy Monarch Elite for emulsion and the 2" Wooster Ultra Pro Firm for oilbased eggshell.

the only flaw with the Wooster Pro is that it falls off the holders in the BrushMate 4- not a problem for the big BrushMate.

Incidentally Wooster make the best roller sleeves I have ever used but they only fit their rollers.

Purdy and Wooster have very big ranges but in the UK choice is very limited

I have a multipack of Purdy brushes consisting of Monarch Elite and Pro Extra and the packaging indicates both types are suitable for use with all paints.

Which brush type would be best to use to get a good finish with Dulux Weathershield Exterior Gloss and should I break it in with the primer coat and undercoat both of which are oil based?

I think that I read on the forum that the extra stiffness of the synthetic filaments in the Pro Extra make it preferable for oil based paints, could anyone please confirm this? Or, are both brush types pretty much the same?

Thx for any advice.

And just for "joe-90", I have run out of tablets but matron is coming round later to sort me out.

Rgds
Jack

I thought the following maybe worth a mention.

Although I have yet to try them they feel a tad softer than any of the Hamilton brushes I have at the moment (bristle and synthetic)

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/9254742/reviews.htm

B & Q have an odd pricing policy (or a mistake). A 2" brush is about £5 each but if you buy the multi pack for just under £11 you get two 2" plus 3 smaller brushes.

I used those B & Q ones as above.

Very good, excellent finish on oil based gloss with low drag and finer brush marks.

Best brush so far out of Harris Smooth Glide and Hamilton Perfection.

I used those B & Q ones as above.

Very good, excellent finish on oil based gloss with low drag and finer brush marks.

Best brush so far out of Harris Smooth Glide and Hamilton Perfection.

If you like hamilton and synthetic why not try hamilton perfection gold. Bought one out of B&Q the other day, and have got to say I was very impressed! Used on Johnstones aqua gloss and left a remarkable finish. Still prefer purdy but a very close second in my opinion!

Purchased a set of purdy brushes recently and never looked back. Also like Harris Classics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back