china or synthetic bristle paint brushes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After reading the helpful info on here from you lot it appears a 3" brush is good for cutting in emulsion. I have been using a 1.5" brush to date, results ok but it takes me quite a while.

I went to B&Q to get my new weapon. I allways buy Hamilton brushes and was a little shocked at the £15 price tag. Anyway there was nothing explaining about the difference between china and synthetic bristles.

I got the assisstant to phone Acorn (own Hamilton) and they said both can be used for different paints.

Ive heard china bristle is better for oil paints and synthetic for water based.

Is this one of those preference things?

Are Hamilton brushes worth the expense?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
After reading the helpful info on here from you lot it appears a 3" brush is good for cutting in emulsion. I have been using a 1.5" brush to date, results ok but it takes me quite a while.

I went to B&Q to get my new weapon. I allways buy Hamilton brushes and was a little shocked at the £15 price tag. Anyway there was nothing explaining about the difference between china and synthetic bristles.

I got the assisstant to phone Acorn (own Hamilton) and they said both can be used for different paints.

Ive heard china bristle is better for oil paints and synthetic for water based.

Is this one of those preference things?

Are Hamilton brushes worth the expense?

Thanks

First off a 3" to 4" brush would the better option for cutting in, the synthetic bristle is softer than china therefore offering less drag on the paint, and are the desired choice for water based paint systems. There is often confusion related to pure china bristle brushes, firstly the china bristle is scraped of the hog, and the finest of these can only be found from a small area around the neck of the beast. The rest are offered in conjuction with nylon to promote the cheaper brushes that are best left alone, The purdy synthetic brush offers both superb application and finish of both oil and water based systems and has become the choice of most decorators. A little more cost perhaps, but if looked after a worthwhile purchase.

Dec

Natural bristle brushes arn't much good for WB paints but have the edge over synthetic for applying OB paints.
A purdy synthetic is a good all rounder and will apply oil and water based paints well.

You will find it better value to buy a box set from a trade outlet. Personally i don't like Hamilton, but its a very subjective matter.

A 4" incher wow thats a fair brush, I'll have to try it and see how I get on.

Ive never heard of Purdy's only the drink! but I never need much exscuse to buy tools.

Would I be better with an angled brush if its specifically for cutting in?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
dcdec,

My preference regarding the pure black china has always been hamilton, are you by any chance a wooster user ;)

Dec

Got it in one mate! Lost 4 in my brushmate not long ago as it went dry while i was faffing around with WB glosses, so back on the purdys at the moment as picked a box set up cheap at Brewers, the varnish split and de-laminated in the brushmate with the hamiltons and find the handles slippery, i prefer a untreated handle.

daddad, don't be intimidated by big brushes, they are far easier to cut in with than a small brush, just take care to spread the paint well and feather it out where it will meet the roller

@ 'Paintwizard' : Please stop trying to promote your own website in every post you make..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back