Brush lost up the chimney :/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says. Was sweeping one of the chimneys and the brass connector failed leaving 1m of rod with a brush on the end wedged somewhere up my chimney :confused:

Once you've all stopped laughing, would anyone have a bright idea on how I can rescue the aforementioned brush ? :evil:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you have any young children?

images

Can't see any easy way of pulling it back down, unless you get the kid in the photo to crawl up the chimney :D, or it broke off close to the bottom.

Use a hand mirror, hold it under the chimney and shine a flashlight on to the mirror. Play with the angle to see how far up the chimney you can see.

Do you have a cowl fitted?

If not, maybe you could try and push it all the way out the chimney with another brush.

Failing that, you may have to call out the Pros.

Cheers

G

Can't see any easy way of pulling it back down, unless you get the kid in the photo to crawl up the chimney :D, or it broke off close to the bottom.

Use a hand mirror, hold it under the chimney and shine a flashlight on to the mirror. Play with the angle to see how far up the chimney you can see.

Do you have a cowl fitted?

If not, maybe you could try and push it all the way out the chimney with another brush.

Failing that, you may have to call out the Pros.

Cheers

G

I bolted a 6x8'' piece of MDF onto the end of one of the rods and sent it up the chimney trying to dislodge it, but no luck. There's no cowl fitted, just cant think of any way to get the bugger down

Sponsored Links
Another suggestion I found was to light a small fire which would loosen the bristles on the brushes grip and it would slide down the chimney :eek:

Yeah go on, ram it up, get it stuck a bit more. Either ram from the top, downwards, as advised, or make a biggish fire, and burn it out.

get one off those double corkscrew hooks and try and go through the brush near the shaft as possible

also consider the fire idea iff you have enough draw[airflow past the brush]

get one off those double corkscrew hooks and try and go through the brush near the shaft as possible

also consider the fire idea iff you have enough draw[airflow past the brush]

Cheers Al, luckily draw is not a problem.

Sponsored Links
Back