BT EO Lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone here know much about EO lines?

I am on a nice 6km Length of copper direct to exchange. So no options for fiber at the moment.

The pole outside my house (detached cottage) has 2 lines, as it used to be two cottages, so I have ordered a 2nd ADSL line, for bonding.

Question is, if I order a 3rd ADSL line, what do BT do regarding no more physical lines on the pole? Being EO I do not have a street cab.

Sponsored Links
so I have ordered a 2nd ADSL line, for bonding.
Are you sure it will it be a true bonded line, or just a second line for load distribution?

Question is, if I order a 3rd ADSL line, what do BT do regarding no more physical lines on the pole? Being EO I do not have a street cab.
If you mean that your drop wire from the pole is just 2-pair, they'll likely replace it. If you mean that there are actually only two pairs available at the pole itself, then a third ADSL line would involve running new cabling back to a DP elsewhere, assuming that a spare pair already exists there or can be made free (by putting non-ADSL customers on DACS etc.).

Hi,
Yes I am sure it will be a true bonded line, it is a service that uses 2 routers this end, with custom firmware, and a cloud based server to bind the two connections, gives me a single static IP address for both lines. The service supports upto 4 lines, hence the question.

The drop wire has a single pair at the moment, but I remember when it was installed, the engineer had 2 pairs available at the pole as he got the wrong pair to start. Its a bit rural out here so limited lines, etc.

Thanks for the clarification. No offense intended about asking if you were sure it's really a bonded service, but just wanted to be sure, as some people aren't aware that just installing a second DSL connection and distributing traffic across multiple IP addresses isn't the same thing.

If there are only two pairs available at the pole (cottages at the end of a lane?), then for anything further BT will have to run new cabling from there back to wherever they can pick up more spare pairs. Depending upon the geography that might be quite a distance, and they may not be willing to do it, at least not at reasonable cost to you. It also depends upon current usage of pairs back to the exchange. Pairs can be shared for non-ADSL customers by using DACS, but every ADSL line needs a dedicated pair all the way back, so if there are simply no spare pairs in a feeder, it may not be possible without a lot of upgrading of external plant.

All you can do is ask, and see what they say.

P.S. My last home in England was also quite rural, about 5 miles from the exchange at the edge of its service area, so ADSL was limited to about 1 Mbps downlink at best. With deteriorating line plant some of my neighbors could manage not much more than half that, and there was such a shortage that I think just about every non-DSL customer in the neighborhood was on DACS, and in the village about a mile away they'd already installed a line concentrator as well. Last I heard, they were scheduled to get FTTC to the cab in the village, but where I lived would still be about 1.5 miles away from the cab.

I think the government's aim of 10 Mbps minimum or whatever it is for everyone within the next few years is something of a pipedream for many parts of rural Britain.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Many thanks, no offence taken at all. I work in IT and understand that people think load balance is the same as bonded.

Well I guess we shall see, it's all about getting more than the 5Mb ADSL2 I get at the moment. I guess I can place an order for the extra line and see what happens.

Didn't know they still install DACS these days. Knowing that they will not work with ADSL.

The cable rus underground from exchange to this pole at 6km, then back down and I think underground again to the farm, so maybe options.

Didn't know they still install DACS these days. Knowing that they will not work with ADSL.
No doubt DACS will disappear eventually as FTTC (and FTTH) roll out more widely and plant is upgraded, but for the moment in many areas the shortage of pairs means that DACS for compatible lines (no ADSL, RedCare etc.) will likely continue for a while.

The cable rus underground from exchange to this pole at 6km, then back down and I think underground again to the farm, so maybe options.
Ah, so it's not just two pairs on the pole right at the end of the run then? If there's a terminal on the pole with ongoing cables, then there may be a spare pair available in the feeder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back