BT Extension Socket Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help. I’ve got an intermittent issue with our BT Home Hub posing internet connection a few time’s each day. Could well be the modem itself but thought I’d check wiring first.

Is this the correct wiring for an extension socket? Note the orange/white and white/orange wires are NOT connected...

17-E93735-1937-4194-B1-FB-697-D4-ECC4430.jpg

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's not been done with the correct tool and the wires have been untwisted, so it's not great(from a 'knowing what they were doing' point of view). But it should still work.

PS - I hope that is your master socket and you are just showing how the outgoing wires connect, rather than that is actually the extension socket?

if you don't use your phone.

connect the micro filter and router into test socket. (that one at the right of the photo) and leave that front off.

try it for a day or 2 to see if there is an improvement

PS - I hope that is your master socket and you are just showing how the outgoing wires connect, rather than that is actually the extension socket?

That is the extension socket I’m showing you so these wires are incoming from the master. Why, what’s up with it?!

Sponsored Links
Hmmm... just done some Googling, I wonder if this is indeed a Master socket on a second phone line given your comments above.

I’ve always assumed it’s an extension as the cable goes off upstairs to another Master socket and then out and up to the roof. Perhaps there are two lines and this isn’t an extension of the Master upstairs.

Will whip the front off again and take a look.

Why, what’s up with it?!

Someone has fitted another master as an extension socket, then. This is incorrect, a master has extra components on the PCB. There should only be one in the house, where the line enters.

ALL other sockets in the house need to be a slave socket (AKA secondary socket), which has no extra components soldered on at all.

Do Andy's test first at your actual master socket first and see what the outcome is after a few days. This will prove if your internal wiring is causing the problem. If it is, buy a slave socket and a krone tool and change it over.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Someone has fitted another master as an extension socket, then. This is incorrect, a master has extra components on the PCB. There should only be one in the house, where the line enters.

ALL other sockets in the house need to be a slave socket (AKA secondary socket), which has no extra components soldered on at all.

Do Andy's test first at your actual master socket first and see what the outcome is after a few days. This will prove if your internal wiring is causing the problem. If it is, buy a slave socket and a krone tool and change it over.

Right, property is a former split commercial and resi so could have two lines.

If I trace the wire back from the socket pictured above I find this:

7-C4-BAB34-2-C64-4-DBC-ACCD-846-E14221-B22.jpg

The bottom box has two cables going in, one from what I assumed is a slave in my original post and the other cable going outside.

I’m confused as to what’s going on here and which sockets are masters / slaves.

Any ideas from these photos chaps?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
...I should add, the top box had the faceplate in place but I pulled it out to expose the inside. The faceplate had no wires connected to it.

At the moment, it looks like the bottom one is your master and the top one was probably another line with a different phone number.

Can you open up the bottom box and try and show us what's in there? Especially if you can see a black cable which has different colours to what we've seen so far. (i.e orange, white, green and black. None of which are striped, just plain colours.)

At the moment, it looks like the bottom one is your master and the top one was probably another line with a different phone number.

Can you open up the bottom box and try and show us what's in there? Especially if you can see a black cable which has different colours to what we've seen so far. (i.e orange, white, green and black. None of which are striped, just plain colours.)

I will do exactly that tomorrow once it’s light (property is being refurbed currently). Will post back with clearer photos.

Thanks @rsgaz and @AndyPRK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back