bt fault responsibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hope someone can advise. following a recent storm, telephone went dead. called BT who asked me to carry out self test on line box. This showed that it was not my equipment at fault and engineer was sent out on the basis of this who traced a loop fault in the faceplate of the linebox, replaced it and reported (I am told) that the fault was in the line box, that no damp had been found and that no physical damage was reported. I have now been charged 189 quid for this, yet I thought this was BTs responsibility....what should I do beyond raising a priority complaint?. I suspect that I have been lumped together with other users on the exchange who suffered floodong from the same storm. but no water entered my house. I suspect lightning inducted current blew the zener diode in the line box.

Sponsored Links
Can you explain what a "line box" is?

Also, did your test not include disconnecting all extensions from the system?

If so, then the fault was within BT's equipment and they are liable for rectifying it.

If they persist in trying to charge you, report BT to Ofcom (or whatever Ofcom is called these days).

the line box is the nte 5a box fitted by bt. the system was tested w/o any equipment connected and with working equipment connected to the test socket. the problem was a faulty box (short circuit) probably caused by failure of the zener diode surge protection to produce a short circuit (loop)

The NTE5 is BT's responsibilty, only extensions connected to that are yours.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks,

BT have admitted that it was their responsibility, and have promised to remove the charge from my account. We shall see, but worth persisting. Thanks for your thoughts....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back