BT master socket fix/logic check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story, parents have a jury rigged phone master/slave socket configuration split over 3 floors that is having problems. BT will charge to fix it, an independent chap is coming to quote to fix.

However, I think it can be easily sorted by me, but, want to be clear I am correct before I go visit.

They don't want phone points on all floors, they only want 1 in the study.

The original "master" socket (with 2 cables, wired into A B) is in the hallway. This has a blanking socket and chock blocks feeding the various extensions around the house.

My plan is to remove everything after the A B connections, and run a new cable to the study.

Google says "A goes to Pin 2, B goes to Pin 5."

So I wire as above from the old master socket, to the only socket in the study.

Job done.

Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Should be a test socket in the BT master and you plug a phone in that. If it works then everything from there on is charged at over £200 to fix even if 2 min job.

2 wires to master
3 wires to all the slave sockets.

If all good move the slave to study.
Depends if cable is already long enough and you can move it by drilling through and connecting up.
Don't extend and make it look like it was done by BT and always been there.

Second option if the master works fine is to run new cable to a slave in study. 3 wires. Been years since I've messed with phone line. I've never moved master socket. Honest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back