Old oval master phone socket

N

newmodel

Hi, i have a old oval shaped master socket and am having problems with my phone line and my broadband, the phone is dead and the broadband keeps dropping every hour or so. obviously the easy option is ring BT but they charge an arm and a leg.

From the master socket there are 2 thick (copper?) wires going outside, then we have a normal white phone cable heading inside, the blue and white/blue cables are connected to 2 of the connectors in the master socket, the same as the ones coming from outside but the the other end on the connector, this then goes to the 3 sockets in the house which are all connected with the blue cable in pin 2 and the white/blue in pin 5.

So i have broadband that drops at random point and a dead phone.

Any idea's to my problems?

Sponsored Links
I take it you have extensions in the house? If so disconnect them from the master socket and see if the fault clears. If it does could be a cable has split is sheathing and the copper cable is earthing out quite a common fault as most people will lay it under the carpet and normally somewhere were there is heavy foot traffic going over.

If the fault still persists after the exentions are out call BT they are responsible for it up to the NT5 (master)

Is the oval box you talk about just inside the window ?,unless you phone is still hard wired (cant unplug it) then the oval box is not the master socket its just where the external cable joins the internal cable,B.t will only charge if the problem is after the master socket.(noted the location where in shropshire are you as a matter of interest,i`m also in shropshire and work for openreach)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i had a quick look just outside and found there was a hole in 1 of the wires, looks like it burnt through the outer case and corroded, after a quick snip and re-wire it all works fine :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back