No dialling tone - do I need BT?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Phone line went dead lunchtime yesterday - but broadband still working.
BT have done checks, and say the problem does not appear to be at their end.
We have plugged a corded phone into the bit inside the master socket and it is still dead (broadband still works though)
We have agreed to have an engineer out tomorrow as we don't appear to have much choice, but BT have said it will be WHOPPING £150 call out fee if the problem does lie at our end.
The wiring inside the master socket is all striped (very old presumably) and 2 of the blue stripey wires are not connected.
Do we have any option other than risk getting caught with this outrageous charge?

Sponsored Links
Is the phone you are trying different to the one you are currently using??if not borrow one off a neighbour....have you tested in the test socket in the nte5 without any filters?? try these options first and if still faulty its down to openreach but if it turns out the phone/extensions or filter fault ring them to cancel the engineer asap.or you will get hit with a £150 bill...adsl signal will still work even if there is a fault on the line

Yes, completely different corded phone.
Sorry to be dim, but is the nte5 the same as the master socket?
I just plugged the end of the phone directly in the test socket of the master.
We live in a fairly remote area and have a telegraph pole at the end of the drive several hundred yards away with overhead wires into the house and I'm convinced they will try to blame it on us somehow!

Plug into the test socket (the one underneath the lower plate) and ensure that there are no extensions connected to it.

Sponsored Links
If you have tried a known working phone in the test socket of the master (i believe you have from your previous posts) then its a BT fault and you wont be liable for any charge. If your still worried just keep an eye on what the engineer does and don't be afraid to ask what the problem was when its been repaired.

Had a similar problem at work other day. BT said the line appeared fine, but it wasn't. 3 times its happened now in 6 months. :eek:

I had a problem on mine, it didn't help that the cable outside the house got broken ;)

Yes, completely different corded phone.
Sorry to be dim, but is the nte5 the same as the master socket?
I just plugged the end of the phone directly in the test socket of the master.
We live in a fairly remote area and have a telegraph pole at the end of the drive several hundred yards away with overhead wires into the house and I'm convinced they will try to blame it on us somehow!
The line test that b.t do is a snap shot test,if everything is fine when it does its test then it will come back line test o.k.If you`ve lost dial tone it is probably a disconnection problem(a or b leg disconnected or both) or a loop(a and b leg touching somewhere) if it happens again try ringing your number from a mobile,if its engaged you have a loop fault,if it rings but not in the house and broadband is still on one of the legs is disconnected.Dropwire going through trees quite often goes disconnected,do you get any noise on your line ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back