BT Master Socket loose Test Socket / Faceplate connection poor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered that the BT Master Socket has a loose test socket - it slipped further backwards than it should be and I can pull it inside the housing forwards but it does not stay in position. Any tipps on how to fix this, in a way that I can have good connection to the faceplate?

Background: Two years ago, our broadband (then Postoffice) was intermittent and technical support suggested to remove the faceplate and try with a broadband filter directly plugged into the test socket. I had the broadband and phone running like this for two years without any issues (and I didn't care the faceplate was off as the socket is hidden by furniture), suggesting that the original problem was the connection from the BT faceplate to the test socket. Now I switched providers (to NOW, run by Sky). They ask for their own microfilter to be used, but this one needs to go into the faceplate (as it does not have a cable). Only now I realised that the original problem might not be the faceplate per se, but the test socket where it plugs in, i.e. a part of the backplate.

Sponsored Links
I think I had problems with mine, and had the test bit bypassed.

Thanks. I looked up a video how to wire it, easy enough, especially now that NTF5c is just clip in without a tool. My only worry is that if I install a new socket and it looks new, but I still needed to call in an Openreach engineer they might ask who installed it...

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I looked up a video how to wire it, easy enough, especially now that NTF5c is just clip in without a tool. My only worry is that if I install a new socket and it looks new, but I still needed to call in an Openreach engineer they might ask who installed it...

As it is their property and their property is faulty, ask them to replace it. That should be free of cost to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back