BT Master Socket

slippyr4 said:
davy_owen_88 said:
Just change the wire you connected to terminal 2 and put it in terminal 5 and vice versa.

That'd be a waste of time. It makes no difference which way round the wires go.

Actually, it does. Some broadband modems do not like reverse polarity.

Sponsored Links
sm1thson said:
aswell as the statutory
officialy YOU can not change a master socket.
but ignoring that,
When I wanted to get mine changed last year i phoned BT and the guy I spoke to actually told me to change it myself if i though i was competant enough. He said even if I do it wrong then I'd just have to get an engineer out the same as if I got BT to change it so nothing to lose. He even suggested I look out for BT engineers vans on the street to ask the engineer if he had a spare master socket I could have!

I think I got the work experience lad :LOL:

No, many of them are extra helpful if only you ask nicely.

When you guys are wiring extentions, do you use chocblock to split/create the extentions.

Just tonight I was at a house were the owners are having problems with ADSL sync problems and after expecting the phone extention wiring, the sparky who wired the house used chocblock to create several new extentions of one of the slave phone sockets.

Is this good practice or should the extentions be created from the faceplace itself?

Sponsored Links
In any install, the fewer joints the better, and those that have to be are best made at an accessory.

So yes, it is always best to run from a plate, rather than a jb.

Chock blocks are very poor for telecom wiring.

securespark said:
slippyr4 said:
davy_owen_88 said:
Just change the wire you connected to terminal 2 and put it in terminal 5 and vice versa.

That'd be a waste of time. It makes no difference which way round the wires go.

Actually, it does. Some broadband modems do not like reverse polarity.

Then those modems are out of spec. Pairs are often reversed in the cabs, polarity cannot be guaranteed.

Bolo, I spent my younger years as a BT engineer and can tell you that reversing the polarity will make no difference at all,this used to be a problem years ago but all up to date phones,systems and modems will adapt to any reversal,first of all are the connections in properly,are they screw in or a krone connection because if it is a krone connection and they havent been punched in correctly it could be a high resistance dis,if it is as you say a master socket it should have a capacitor in it and even if its a slave socket you will get dial tone but incoming calls will not ring. Try to connect the terminations again if still getting no dial tone I suspect the socket is faulty. If you ask BT to fit this they will not touch any non BT sockets or wiring, also choc blocks are a non starter or as engineers call it star wiring as this will affect the dsl signal,all extensions should run from the master socket then to the first extension,second,ect,ect

JOHNBOY42 said:
Bolo, I spent my younger years as a BT engineer and can tell you that reversing the polarity will make no difference at all,this used to be a problem years ago

So why, when I reconnected an extension socket for a customer in 2005, with a brand new computer, did the broadband connection fail, yet righted itself when 2 & 5 were swapped back to "correct" polarity?

Correct polarity, according to my AX line tester, that is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back