BT Master Socket

S

Shutpa

Following the advice I was given last week, I set about replacing my telephone master socket with a new one-piece brass one. Twisted one of the incoming BT wires with the blue with white and inserted in terminal 2. This same wire goes to T2 of the extention sockets. Did the same with the white with blue this time using T5. The third cable joins all T3 terminals. Now nothing works. Where have I gone wrong?

Sponsored Links
If you only connect the incoming service wires to 2 & 5 on the brass socket does the brass socket work? (Forget about the extension sockets for now - if you get one to work then worry about the rest later)

Sponsored Links
Just change the wire you connected to terminal 2 and put it in terminal 5 and vice versa.

This should work. If it doesn't then you are either not connecting the cables correctly or have damaged the incoming cable.

Kids need the net tonight but tomorrow morning I will try both using 2 wires only, and, if that doesn't work,swapping over the two wires. I don't think that I've damaged the BT wires because, as you may have guessed, I have now refitted the old 2 piece socket and everything is A1.

well if the old one works and the new one doesnt.......................

davy_owen_88 said:
Just change the wire you connected to terminal 2 and put it in terminal 5 and vice versa.

That'd be a waste of time. It makes no difference which way round the wires go.

slippyr4 said:
It makes no difference which way round the wires go.
are you sure, i thought it was a case of 'most of the time it makes no difference' (i have had a fussy modem before that did care) -but thats in the case of extensions Im not sure about the master.

bolo said:
Following the advice I was given last week, I set about replacing my telephone master socket with a new one-piece brass one. Twisted one of the incoming BT wires with the blue with white and inserted in terminal 2. This same wire goes to T2 of the extention sockets. Did the same with the white with blue this time using T5. The third cable joins all T3 terminals. Now nothing works. Where have I gone wrong?

Are you certain it is a master socket ?

A true master socket has a capacitor, a resistor and a device which limits transient voltages on the incoming pair.

The speech and dialling of the phones work on wire 2 and wire 5.

The bells work between wire 3 and wire 5 ( using AC fed via the capacitor from the incoming wire 2 )

The resistor enables line testing by the telephone exchange measuring the current needed to charge and discharge the capacitor. ( simplified )

Look at http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

I repeat the advice not to tamper with the back section of the master box

Bernard Green

Yes. Definitely a master socket with the component parts you listed.

bolo said:
Roughly what would BT charge to fit the new master?

If the old one is broken (cough) and you make the engineer a cup of tea, then usually nothing.

also, if you were to fit a secondary socket direct to your line pair, the line would more than likely work, but your phones might not ring.

Are the terminals in your master socket krone punch down terminals? are you sure they're contacting properly?

but i doubt they will change it for one you supply, it will be another white BT one.

slippyr4 said:
davy_owen_88 said:

That'd be a waste of time. It makes no difference which way round the wires go.

Well I recently changed all the sockets and it DID make a difference. Our incoming cable is a good 30 years old though so maybe that had something to do with it. Either way, its not going to take him long to try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back