BT Openreach socket and Alarm

True, but that assumes the equipment involved is gigabit to begin with - A great many people are still using 100 Mbps network adapters.

Sponsored Links
BT's home hub 5 (and 4 I think) has a built in Gigabit hub. Makes sense to use it especially as most/all new laptops/desktops/set top boxes/consoles have Gigabit support.

Think this thread has got a bit confused. Is the Hallway socket live ? If you plugged a phone in will it work? If so just connect directly on to this from your alarm dialler. If you have BT infinity you do not need a filter however if you are on their standard broadband then a filter will be required. Never had an alarm impact on infinity speeds so far as it uses the phone line not the internet.

You do need a filter on Infinity broadband - it will usually be in the master socket/faceplate and all extensions (and alarms) should be wired downstream of the faceplate filter if the job has been done correctly. If however the alarm is wired to an unfiltered part of the line, then it must have a Infinity-compatable filter.

Sponsored Links
You do need a filter on Infinity broadband - it will usually be in the master socket/faceplate and all extensions (and alarms) should be wired downstream of the faceplate filter if the job has been done correctly. If however the alarm is wired to an unfiltered part of the line, then it must have a Infinity-compatable filter.

Yes as you have said extensions will be wired downstream of the faceplate filter hence it would be split and filtered already (assuming it has been done correctly) anyway worst case scenario you may have to fit a filter but doubtful :).

Think this thread has got a bit confused. Is the Hallway socket live ? If you plugged a phone in will it work? If so just connect directly on to this from your alarm dialler. If you have BT infinity you do not need a filter however if you are on their standard broadband then a filter will be required. Never had an alarm impact on infinity speeds so far as it uses the phone line not the internet.

No the plate in the hallway is where the master socket used to be. This was moved to living room when BT infinity was installed, as we had no need for a socket in hallway at time. So engineer at the time installed master socket and extended from hallway as you can see. When I was doing work later on downstairs (involving taking up floorboards to do insulation), I re-routed the cable under the floorboards instead of along skirting board etc. At same time I got a cat5e cable ran under aswell as at the time was planning on putting a socket in room above the hallway. In the end I didnt do this, and its not being used at the moment.

So yea I am just going to go with the switcher approach, seeing as I have the cat5e cable there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back