BT to CAT 5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an NTE5 Master socket and want to wire in my ADSL filter. The clours in thecable are Red/Yellow/Blue and Black, which terminals do these go to in the punchdown terminals 2, 3, 4 and 5?

Cables will then go from the filter to patchpanels for the phone. What coulour goes to what in the panel base on 5698B wiring? The DSL will go to a router and then tpo a panel.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't follow what you are wanting to do? You mean cut the plug off a microfilter and wire it directly into the NTE5 loose front? You can get a new front for a NTE5 with a built in microfilter: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=TE04368
Don't follow where cat5 comes into it?? Cat5 are normally a mixture of blue, orange, green, brown wires, then their respective pairs of white wires with blue, orange, green, brown stripes.

AdamGT3 said:
The clours in thecable are Red/Yellow/Blue and Black, which terminals do these go to in the punchdown terminals 2, 3, 4 and 5?
Thanks

Which cable has Red/Yellow/Blue and Black ? It sounds like you are changing the socket at the end of the BT incoming cable.

Sponsored Links
i presume you are talking about the wires from the filter. You could always plug the other bit of the filters lead into the front plate of the master socket and test with a mulitmeter on continuity.

but i'd stronly suggest buying a filter plate that goes straight on the NTE5 and maybe get one of clarity's ( www.clarity.it , yes they do seem to be british despite the .it domain)

as for the wiring from the phone side of the filter to the patch panel it depends entirely on what you are using to connect the phones at the other end.

plugwash said:
ibut i'd stronly suggest buying a filter plate that goes straight on the NTE5 and maybe get one of clarity's ( www.clarity.it , yes they do seem to be british despite the .it domain).

Or from http://www.solwise.co.uk/telesun.htm

This is the better method as it separates all the phone wiring from the wiring carrying ADSL signals and this separation occurs as close to the incoming as possible. No more micro filters dotted around the house.

What I did was to take a single pair from the existing BT NTE to a new NTE5 with filter located adjacent to the computer / router. All the phones are wired from this NTE5

Some people say that ADSL signals "prefer" BT type cable ( less signal loss than the same length of CAT 5 cable ).

AdamGT3 said:
I The clours in thecable are Red/Yellow/Blue and Black, which terminals do these go to in the punchdown terminals 2, 3, 4 and 5?

Is this the cable from a micro-filter ? Each wire has several fine strands of copper and the outer sheath is flat ?

That wire will NOT make proper contact with an IDC ( punch down ) terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back