bt wiring colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install a phone point in my study. as long as I have lived here only BT have touched the line. i had a single line with 3 points, i then had one of those points turned into a second line and an extra point added. I wanted to be able to add a point in the study in the future, but at the time it was still a kids bedroom. the BT tech guy said it would only be a matter of putting a different plate on, as there is already a mounting box with a blank plate in the room. having bought a slave plate and removed the blanking plate, i am stuck. there are no wires with coloured banding on them, and there are two cables behind the plate, partly connected to eachother. one seems to be coming directly from outside, a black cable with 4 cores, orange, white, black and green. the other is a white cable with 8 cores. 4 white each twined with another colour; blue, orange, green and brown. the black from the black is connected to the brown from the white. the green from the black is connected to the white (twined with the brown) from the white. the orange from the black is connected to the blue from the white. the white from the black is connected to the white (twined with the blue) from the white. they are connected using those jelly things, so it seems to be a professional job. was i told the wrong thing by the bt tech guy and there is not the ability to connect to the line at this point, because this seems to me to be the wrong end of the master socket, or is it possible to hook it up somehow?

Sponsored Links
DO NOT make any alterations or connection to the junction between the BLACK CABLE and the white cable. That is BT property, on a single line installation they may turn a blind eye to DIY tampering there. On a two line installation with the possiblity of DIY tampering shorting or other wise cross connecting between the two line they will be far less tolerant of DIY tampering.

In the Black cable

Orange and White are the pair for line 1
Black and Green are the pair for line 2

The white cable with line 1 on blue and blue/white and line 2 on brown and brown/white will be going to master sockets some where.

It is at these master sockets where you can make connections PROVIDED they are the type of master socket that permit DIY wiring to be connected to them.

What sort of master sockets are fitted.

the BT tech guy said it would only be a matter of putting a different plate on

What he should have said was "It's only a matter of US putting a different plate on". To add your own wiring (other than by plugging an adapter into the front) you need a particular kind of master socket. (It's name eludes me right now; I've entered the Thingy zone! :eek: ) The bottom half of its front plate can be removed and will be found to have a phone plug on the back that plugs into the real socket behind. There will also be terminals in there (on the removable bit) where you can connect your extensions.

BT can fit one of these into that box. You will have to decide which of the two separate phone lines you want them to break into.

PS: You can plug a phone directly into that hidden socket if you like. It can be useful for test purposes.

Sponsored Links
what your actually wanting to do is relocate your NTE5. that will become the outlet in the study and the other points will become the extensions....

it`s a job for BT. I`m afraid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back