Joining old and new BT cable colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a customer who has mistakenly cut a BT cable. It seems to come in from outside and run to a secondary box in the bedroom and then spur off to an office where this line was used for his broadband/internet connection. He cut it without realising. The wire coming in is 4 strands - solid orange, solid blue, solid green and solid brown. I am trying to join a modern 3-pair cable to this i.e. Blue/White,Orange/White,Green/White,White/Blue,White/Orange,White/Green. Can anyone tell me which wire links up with which? e.g. Blue goes with Blue/White etc.

Any help gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
In this e it dos'nt really matter but go as yoyu think with blue/blue white. Just so long as the same goes to same at the other end.

I once had my phone line working absolutely fine with a length of 2-core flex in it where I'd had to cut the incoming cable.

I think you'll find that electrons can't tell what colour the insulation is....

Sponsored Links
Hang on!!

If you don't mind me saying, Ban, that's a pretty useless comment!

Of course, the electrons do not know what the insulation colour is, however, if the conductors are not hooked up correctly, the line will cease to function.

To the OP:

The common way to bring a line into a house using the old colours was to use Blue and Orange for one line and Green & Brown for another.

However, if this is BT's cable, they should sort it out.

Hang on!!

If you don't mind me saying, Ban, that's a pretty useless comment!

Of course, the electrons do not know what the insulation colour is, however, if the conductors are not hooked up correctly, the line will cease to function.
The point I'm tring to make is that as long as you connect the right cores to the right terminals in the master it doesn't matter what the colours are on the conductors you use to extend the cable....

Indeed! That's what he was asking! Which wires connect to where?

He needs to know which is the line pair A+B and which is the ringer wire.

Which reminds me, I didn't mention that. The codes I mentioned previously apply where the cable comes into the first socket in the property from outside (netowk use).

The following code is used for extension sockets:

Blue - term 2

Orange - term 3

Brown - term 5

I must stress that these are the official colour codes for the older GPO type wiring. It may not be exclusively used in every installation.

Best to look in the socket where the cut cable originates and see what colours go where.

Incidentally, I believe BT are reverting to these old colours as the have started using the 4 core cable to cut costs. Don't know how true this is.

Having read some of the responses I can't help but think a master box has been taken out of the equation and the customer hasn't told me! Thanks to BoxCleva for the link, very useful. That'll do for me.

The following code is used for extension sockets:

Blue - term 2

Orange - term 3

Brown - term 5

I must stress that these are the official colour codes for the older GPO type wiring. It may not be exclusively used in every installation.

I'm sure the convention was blue to 2, orange to 5, and green to 3.
Blue and orange being the first pair used for the line, and green, the A leg of the next pair used for the ringer cct.

Now I'm doubting myself...Can anybody clear up the confusion?

If the cable is the 'lead in' from the supplier's line, there is no ringer wire, just the line 'A' and 'B' wires. They will probably use the blue and orange wires. The ringer wire is derived from the master socket.

This type of 4 wire cable became obsolescent when the present style of phone sockets was introduced, so it was probably re-used from a previous installation.

Before modern sockets came into use party line connections were common, and line polarity was used to identify the called line, so the line could have been connected either way around.

The master socket should in theory have been the first socket connected, but in practise it could have been placed anywhere as all the sockets are connected in parallel.

So you've really got to open up the existing sockets, and see what is connected where in each case, otherwise you may be able to connect a socket that will work with one phone, but will stop everything working if the phone is swapped.

Some handsets use the ringer connection, and others don't, so swapping two different types around when the line connections on a socket are reversed can have unpredictable results.

The old wiring convention for 4 wire telephone cable was:-

Blue - Wire 1
Orange - Wire 2
Green - Wire 3
Brown - Wire 4

The cable construction was one twisted quad. Because of it's single quad construction, it shouldn't have been used to carry two seperate lines.

Modern cables all use twisted pairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back