Identify BT Drop Box Wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My BT drop cable has a grey sheath and 8 wires, BLUE, BROWN, ORANGE, GREEN and 4 WHITE wires. Which wires which go to A/B on an NT5 Master socket?

As 4 of the wires are white, can I identify them using a multimeter?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Those colours are the colours of CAT5 ( data wiring ) and not any type of telephone drop wire ( at least not in the lists I have ).

You will ( should ) find each white is twisted with one of the coloured wire to make 4 pairs.

Most likely the active pair will be either the Orange/White pair or the Blue/White pair ( but it depends on who connected it and their choice of colour.

As mentioned you could use a voltmeter to find which pair has 50 volts between its two wires.

Sponsored Links
What colour is the outer sheath?
(Off) White or Cream then that cable is likely to be CW1302 internal '8 wire' in which case each colour is paired (and twisted) with a white wire. 1st pair is Blue with its paired white. 'B' leg is the colour. (8 wire in domestic properties is so very rare that it could be a bodge.)
Black then it's 'new' type Drop wire in which case the white wires are the steel suspension wires. But the colours do not sound correct.

They say there are no stupid questions, so, do I need an active telephone account/line for there to be voltages running across the wires?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back